A Denim Skirt (Why didn’t I have one of these already???)

Skirt is Shirt
A Silken Skirt Dress

I can’t believe I haven’t owned a denim skirt in years!  Seriously…This is a casual southern wardrobe staple!  Today, I sought to rectify this situation with this Eddie Bauer mumsy number (a freebie…yay!).

Serious Mom Skirt

As is, this is fairly awful.  It looks like something my 3rd grade teacher would have worn.  To take  this skirt from spinster to sassy, I first made a big cut.

Chop!

I wanted to let the hem fray, but I didn’t want to leave my skirt looking quite so unfinished.  Luckily, I had a spool of super-thick thread made for sewing denim in my stashy stash.  I sewed two rows of straight stitches above the line where I didn’t mind letting the skirt fray.

A bit more of a finished look

That’s it!  :)  I now have a wardrobe staple that has been missing from my closet for oh-so-long! :)

From Frump to Fabu!

Cheers!  :)

Skirt is Shirt
A Silken Skirt Dress

10 Comments on A Denim Skirt (Why didn’t I have one of these already???)

1. Melisa
    June 21, 2011 at 5:40 am (3 years ago)

I love this idea! I’ve been wanting a cute Jean skirt forever, but can never find a good fit. I’m heading to my favorite thrift store tomorrow!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

June 21, 2011 at 9:55 am (3 years ago)

Thanks! A big problem I’ve had with finding the perfect denim skirt is that they’re either too short or too long. Choosing my own length made it juuuuust right! :)

2. poet
    June 21, 2011 at 5:18 pm (3 years ago)

Yay for freebies and quick refashions! I’ve been meaning to make myself a denim skirt. I must admit that I owned a pants-to-skirt refashion from my awkward teenage phase that looked a lot like the original skirt, and I tried to shorten it, but it didn’t work out and I’m thinking I might just toss it. I’ll need to use some different material!

3. Katharina
    June 22, 2011 at 4:57 am (3 years ago)

My 4th grade teacher (wonderfull Miss Owen) had an exact copy of your before skirt – brings back memories!

4. firstmute
    June 22, 2011 at 10:26 am (3 years ago)

I love this refashion. I keep buying stuff from thrift stores intending to work similar miracles on them, but so far my only real success has been realizing that a skirt looks much better belted on my waist than low on my hips.

Also, it’s really freaky how often I see you out and about around town. Some time I’m going to stop you and say hi.

I’m not a stalker, I just run a lot of errands.

5. libbysawyer
    January 7, 2013 at 7:33 pm (2 years ago)

What did you do with the extra piece of denim? I’ve been wanting to make a denim messenger bag, but I have no idea how to make bags! If you do know how and ever get the chance in your busy schedule, could you show how to make a matching bag with the leftover fabric from your refashions? Thanks! Love your blog!

January 11, 2013 at 4:55 pm (2 years ago)

You know what? I have no idea what happened to it! :( I moved recently, and I think it got lost in the shuffle. I like the idea of making a matching bag! Thanks!

6. sara
    August 28, 2013 at 7:39 pm (1 year ago)

I love all your ideas and I am so glad I found your site. Your ideas are simple enough for me to do with little complication unless I my sewing machine is feeling bi-polar that day, we have our ups and downs. Thank you so much.

August 30, 2013 at 6:59 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you so much! :) Yep…me and my machine have our good and bad days too!