I needed something fun and shiny to wear for an evening of going out with friends/watching the Art Bar Players improv troupe (of which my fella happens to be a member). :) I started out with this:
Oh, and look! My old friends are back!
First, I hacked off the sleeves and neck hole.
My plan is to turn this into a strapless, flowy top, using the bottom elastic waistband as the top of the new top. I did something similar last year, but I learned from a couple of mistakes I made.
First off, rather than just sew down the sides, I knew I needed to make some sort of a gusset, or the top wouldn’t be as flowy as I wanted. I cut up one of the sleeves to make my gusset.
Then, I attached my gusset to one side. If this were a smaller top, I would need two gussets. Thankfully, it’s pretty big, so one will do fine. The sparkly, big pattern really hid my add-on well. :)
I wasn’t even trying to match up the pattern, but check it out! I totally did! :)
To finish my new top, I took the whole thing in on one side about 4 inches at the top, and gradually less at the bottom.
I threw my fun new top over a pair of skinny jeans, tossed on one of my favorite thrifted necklaces, and dashed out the door to make it in time for the first show!