Day 104: A Scrappy Scarf

Day 105: Cobaltic Avenue Dress
Day 103: A Sweater Save

One of the problems with refashioning is figuring out what to do with all those scraps!

My scrap drawer runneth over!

When I was first given my sewing machine, a family member gave me a book called Sew Everything Workshop.

by Diana Rupp

It came in really handy for figuring out how to use my machine.  I can’t stand the ugly black & white photos that you find in manuals.  This book is full of color, and has lots of cute little witticisms to keep you interested in reading it.  It comes with a bunch of projects and patterns, too!  There was one that always seemed really clever, easy, and unique…The Scrappy Scarf.

I grabbed a bunch of my smaller scraps that I wasn’t really sure what to do with, and cut them into small squares.

Scrappy Squares!

Then, I sewed them in a chain diagonally.  The book tells you to pin them, but you really don’t have to.  The feed dogs will pick up the new square just fine.  :)

Back on the Chain Gang!

I kept adding new squares until I reached a length I was happy with.  Now I have a fun new scarf, made entirely of scraps that probably would have gotten tossed out!

My mannequin likes it too!

What are some other scrap-busting ideas you think I should try?

Day 105: Cobaltic Avenue Dress
Day 103: A Sweater Save

10 Comments on Day 104: A Scrappy Scarf

1. gsprendergast
    October 12, 2011 at 12:19 pm (3 years ago)

Try patchwork quilting of course! Clothing scraps make great little lap blankets, picnic or beach blankets or cushion covers. They’re fun because long after the item of clothing the scrap came from is worn and gone, you can look at the quilt and remember. This is also a great way to preserve old treasured t-shirts.(http://handmadestail.blogspot.com/2009/11/t-shirt-renewal-part-two.html)

October 13, 2011 at 10:15 am (3 years ago)

That’s so clever! I love the pic of you wearing your form! :) I have a dress form, but it’s still a bit bigger than me in the bust, so I’m thinking of making my own too!

2. Sunduri Das
    October 13, 2011 at 8:04 am (3 years ago)

Clever, very clever. I can’t wait to see you wear it.

October 13, 2011 at 10:14 am (3 years ago)

Thanks! I was feeling a bit under the weather, so I kept my sickly mug out of the pictures. ;)

3. redbamsews
    October 13, 2011 at 4:25 pm (3 years ago)

I am not as creative as you. I’m like a few others who posted and would shoot for a quilt. I’d start with a smaller size like a lap quilt and then donate to a group like Project Linus. Depending on the fabric designs you could put the squares together for a home deco project line a table runner or placemats. Just my 2 cents.

4. chicaandaluza
    October 15, 2011 at 10:35 am (3 years ago)

Hope you´re felling better now! I do a little patchwork too, and scraps like these are brilliant for this.

5. Amy Callahan
    June 12, 2012 at 2:23 am (3 years ago)

I bought that book as well, when I first got my machine. My first project was the yoga pants. They turned out bad! I do love the book and your scarf turned out brilliant!

6. Polysammo
    July 4, 2012 at 12:56 am (2 years ago)

one of my Favorite Goodwill finds right now is a homemade patchwork skirt. I get lots of Compliments about it.

7. Amy McCord
    July 25, 2012 at 9:24 am (2 years ago)

That’s so crazy! That’s the same book I got last year when I got my machine, it’s awesome!