Day 212: A’dress’ing a Too-Big Tee! :)

Day 213: D’oh! Dress
Day 211: A Sweater Made Sweeter

It seems like every time I volunteer at an event where I’m required to wear a Tshirt for said event, I always get stuck with a tee that’s a good 5 sizes larger than the one I requested.  :/  This includes today, when I showed up at The World Beer Festival.

Seriously?????

It looks like Erin snagged the last medium tee. They didn’t even have smalls.  :/

She’s a smug little thing, isn’t she?  :)

Luckily, I anticipated my bad luck, and came armed!

Gigantic tee, you have met your match!

I cut each of the sleeves of my tee into strips, like so:

By this time, Erin was looking realllly concerned. :)

I stretched out all of the strips, and tied them in front of me.

Tie it nice & snug!

I turned the whole thing around, and was ready to volunteer in style!  :D

Ta Daaaaah! :)

I could have totally worn this as a dress, but stuck with my jeans to keep my legs warm in the colder areas of the Columbia Convention Center.

Muuuuch better than a tent-like tee! :)

And here’s what it looks like from the back!

Pretty neat, eh? :)

I had a blast helping out by lugging bags of ice, emptying buckets, and grabbing whatever the vendors needed.

Dan…the man behind the Brew Crew! :)

Of course one of the perks of providing free labor was that I got to sample plenty of tasty brew!  :)

Booze and friends…a winning combination! :D

I have to admit that this refashion worked perhaps a little too well.  When I went up to a few vendors and asked “Are you guys doing okay?  Do you need anything?”, a couple of them didn’t realize I was a volunteer, and looked at me like I was nuts!  They must have thought I was just a very concerned attendee!  :D

Day 213: D’oh! Dress
Day 211: A Sweater Made Sweeter

21 Comments on Day 212: A’dress’ing a Too-Big Tee! :)

1. tilacata
    January 28, 2012 at 10:09 pm (3 years ago)

This is my favorite refashion, yet! The possibilities just became even more endless. I can’t even tell you how many tees I have that could use similar treatment.

2. NorthernStar
    January 29, 2012 at 5:28 am (3 years ago)

Ha ha! You really made me smile with this one. I love the fact that you were prepared and ready, knowing the T shirt would be enormous. And look how stylish it turned out! Excellent!

3. Debbie McDaniel
    January 29, 2012 at 9:16 am (3 years ago)

Simply cannot believe you pulled this off so beautifully AND at the last minute-you GO girl!

4. hillerysawyer
    January 29, 2012 at 11:00 am (3 years ago)

So awesome. I love that you brought your scissors. Amazing on the spot transformation.

5. Kinder Teacher
    January 29, 2012 at 7:08 pm (3 years ago)

This just proves that you can take a hideous huge orange paper bag and turn it into adorable!

6. Ali
    January 30, 2012 at 9:34 am (3 years ago)

Wow – that is SO cute! I’m left envying the fact that you can wear all these strapless numbers while us larger endowed women are stuck looking like elephants in too big t-shirts. But you certainly pulled this one off with GREAT style – well done! Ali

7. Eryn Wong
    January 31, 2012 at 11:39 pm (3 years ago)

You are so talented!!

8. BatMa'am
    February 22, 2012 at 1:37 pm (3 years ago)

This is the easiest t shirt dress EVER. Thank you for this! I made one last night with the coolest but gigantic t shirt I got for 99 cents at good will. I tied the strips individually and it gave the back a more laced up look. May stitch in some elastic in the top to make it more permanent. Thank you so much for the inspiration! It looks great by itself for summer or leggings and boots for winter. My favorite thing ever, I’m making many more.. out of hubby’s t shirts.. hehe

9. murf
    July 13, 2012 at 10:07 pm (2 years ago)

Awesome refash…I always have the opposite problem: never any tees big enough. :(

10. parker.
    July 21, 2012 at 11:05 pm (2 years ago)

i was at this event- so funny!love the idea!!

11. Karenpa53
    September 23, 2012 at 10:45 am (2 years ago)

Does anyone have any ideas for remaking an oversized tshirt into an a-line shape t-shirt for those of us who are pear shaped?

September 24, 2012 at 3:52 pm (2 years ago)

This would be totally doable. Start with a too-big tee. Take it in from the sides, taking in more from the top than the bottom. :)

12. Erin W
    February 19, 2013 at 12:24 am (2 years ago)

this is awesome! also awesome that you brought scissors!

13. Luisa :)
    April 26, 2013 at 11:47 pm (1 year ago)

i’m addicted

14. anna-bo-banna
    July 20, 2013 at 6:24 pm (1 year ago)

I’m so impressed with your preparedness…adorbs!

15. Lizz
    August 20, 2013 at 2:25 pm (1 year ago)

I love this idea! My hubby wears shirts that are 5xlt (he’s 6’8″!) and this is the perfect idea for when he won’t wear them anymore!

4Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Day 212: A’dress’ing a Too-Big Tee! :)

1. [...] drawer. You’ve got to indulge in this brilliantly simple DIY project by ReFashionista before you toss your next [...]

2. [...] answer you’re looking for. All you need to do is locate a pair of scissors and she shows you how to make a stylish dress or top out of any oversized shirt. This is a five minute fix that can be handled at any convention or fair. [...]

3. [...] the answer you’re looking for. All you need to do is locate a pair of scissors and she shows you how to make a stylish dress or top out of any oversized shirt. This is a five minute fix that can be handled at any convention or fair. [...]

4. […] can be handled at any convention or fair. She shows you how to quickly transform that shirt into a stylish dress or top. If you are at home and looking for something a little more involved, there is also a tutorial on […]