Sorry, Safari!

DIY High/Low Tee
Call to Action! Help Revente’s Last Call Keep its Name!

Wow!  Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU for all your support for Revente’s Last Call! Neiman Marcus can’t ignore all the bad publicity they’ve brought upon themselves through their corporate thuggery.   I’ll be sure to keep you posted as soon as I know anything new with this situation.  Fingers crossed!  :)

Now…back to the refashions!

Why did fashion retailers in the early 90′s all seem to think that the best thing to do with a boring awkward-length dress was to stick a safari scene on the bottom of it?

Oh yeah…gimme some of that shapeless boredom!

Let’s get a closer look at nature’s exotic splendor, shall we?

Majestic, isn’t it?

Unfortunately in this particular scene, the sky has turned black and Armageddon is upon these innocent creatures in the form of diamond-shaped red-hot fireballs.  :/

There’s just no way I could make this bottom section work, so off it went!

Chop!

I decided to make this dress a little more fun by giving it an asymmetrical hemline.

In getting rid of all that wilderness, this piece ended up reallllly (as in dangerously) short!  And I still have to add a hem so it wouldn’t fray!  :/

I grabbed my bottle of Fray Block and applied it to the bottom edge.

Just a dab’ll do ya! :)

Then I folded it over once…juuuuust enough to have hem and sewed it down with a zigzag stitch, since my hem was on the bias (meaning:  It needs to be able to stretch a little).

Whirrrrrr!

I wrapped those side sashes around me twice, and now I have a cute dress in Gamecock colors!  :)

Gotta love that Garnet & Black! :)

My new dress was perfect for an afternoon “Stock the Bar” Shower for these awesome people:

Erin, the future bride!

Ken, the future groom!

Everyone had a blast celebrating this awesome couple!  :)

Such a great way to spend an afternoon!

My Gent even stopped by with his son, who I’m giving the alias of Dram (I’ve always thought this was the perfect tacky Soap Opera name).

Arms crossed? Check! Hair in eyes? Check!

Yup.  I’m totally dating a guy with a kid.  For the first time ever.  I’m pretty terrible at the whole thing, as I haven’t a clue how to talk to a teenager (Heck…I didn’t know how to talk to other kids when I was a kid!).  Fortunately, Dram is a great kid who tolerates my awkwardness (“Uh…er…how’s being all young and stuff going for ya?” Seriously…awkward.)

Gotta love David’s “Blue Steel” face! :D

I’ll leave you with this beautiful pic of Erin & Ken’s loot!  :)

Party at Erin & Ken’s!!!! :D

DIY High/Low Tee
Call to Action! Help Revente’s Last Call Keep its Name!

20 Comments on Sorry, Safari!

1. mancunianvintage
    September 19, 2012 at 1:06 am (2 years ago)

Great refashion – looks an entirely new dress! And good luck communicating with Dram :P

September 19, 2012 at 9:24 am (2 years ago)

Thanks! The other day I asked about his commute. His commute?!?! He’s 14! He can’t drive! *facepalm*

• mancunianvintage
        September 19, 2012 at 12:54 pm (2 years ago)

Haha! At least you recognise those ‘d’oh!’ moments and aren’t completely out of the loop!

2. Amy
    September 19, 2012 at 10:03 am (2 years ago)

I remember those horrid safari print things of yesteryear. I may have even had a purse. :0 your transformation is beautiful. I have two teens. You can never really be cool enough for them. Maybe play a video game with him to steal his heart. He is a cutie pie.

September 20, 2012 at 10:10 am (2 years ago)

Thank ya. haha…haven’t played a video game since Super Mario Brothers 3. :D

3. Jules
    September 19, 2012 at 11:48 am (2 years ago)

I had a dress just like this from on of those ‘earth mother’ type shops, except the pattern round the bottom was a little more abstract. It was a really awkward length, but those were awkward times. Your refashion looks amazing! I love the idea of a stock the bar shower! And I LOVE that there is Patron! And some of those bottles will end up covered in dust…I can just tell…

September 20, 2012 at 10:09 am (2 years ago)

Thanks! And don’t worry…there will be no dust on those bottles, and not just because Erin is a neat freak. ;)

4. RebeccaScaglione
    September 19, 2012 at 11:57 am (2 years ago)

Your items are always amazing! I love your stuff because it makes me feel like I can do it, too!

5. krugthethinker
    September 19, 2012 at 1:02 pm (2 years ago)

Yay! I love the dress and the tights too! And I’m so very happy for you about the Gent and about being in new territory. Don’t worry–no one on earth could ever not like you!

September 20, 2012 at 10:08 am (2 years ago)

Thank you so much! We’re really happy. :)

6. Angelia
    September 19, 2012 at 4:49 pm (2 years ago)

YAY! Another post! Just love getting that email telling me there’s a new post! Cute re-do on the dress, looks darling on you as well (but then you ARE a cutey-pa-tootey!). I wondered if the new gent wasn’t a bit older than you. HEY, that isn’t a bad thing, my hubby is 11 years older than I and I like it!!! However, I might not like it too much when he’s able to retire and I’m not old enough to,,,, hhmm.. no, don’t think I’ll like that one bit…….Anyhooo, I digress – - LOVE YOUR POSTS! Looking forward to the next one!

September 20, 2012 at 10:07 am (2 years ago)

Awww…thanks! :) Yep…he’s my silver fox. ;) And don’t worry about the retirement thing. My dad has retired before my mom, and he makes a great househusband! Think of alllll the projects you can give him to do!

• Angelia
        September 20, 2012 at 10:48 am (2 years ago)

Now that’s an angle I didn’t consider, SOOO, maybe I WILL be ok with it…. = P

7. Molly Jo
    September 20, 2012 at 7:50 pm (2 years ago)

You’re the expert here so I am turning to you in my time of need. :)

I was curious, can you dye 100% polyester? And if so, what is the process. I have a pair of board shorts that are cute….but a HIDEOUS color that I am almost embarrassed to wear (its like a pea green with a NEON yellow and an ugly teal. Seriously, even worse than it sounds.) Or will the dye not take? What about boiling water, wont that ruin polyester?

September 21, 2012 at 9:38 am (2 years ago)

You CAN dye polyester, but it’s not going to change the color much at all. Acrylics just don’t soak up the dye like natural fibers do. BUT…you might be able to mute the exreme colors a bit. I’d do it in the washing machine instead of on the stove to be safe.

Hope this helps! :)

8. leigh
    September 21, 2012 at 3:33 am (2 years ago)

When I started dating my husband at the ripe old age of 22, he already had a 9 year old. The only kid that I had ever spent time with until that point was my 4 year old nephew (huge difference between 4 and 9). It is unnerving, however, if they see that you are interested in them for them and not just because of dad, it will help. If he is into sports, go to his game or take him to a game and if he can teach you something, let him. And, as the saying goes, “the fastest way to a man’s heart is through is stomach” is even truer for a teenager. It will get easier.
    Change of subject: refashion is as cute as always.

September 21, 2012 at 9:36 am (2 years ago)

Thanks for the advice (I need it)! :)

9. Anna
    July 10, 2014 at 11:59 pm (2 weeks ago)

OMG, I must really have needed a laugh. Your “the sky has turned black and Armageddon is upon these innocent creatures in the form of diamond-shaped red-hot fireballs” made me HOWL. (Very quietly — the babies are asleep).