Happy Thanksgiving Jacket

[title of refashion]
Festival of Trees Gala Dress

Happy Thanksgiving, Everyone!  :)  I hope everyone got to spend this special day with the people they love!  In years past, I’ve always joined either my fam or someone else’s fam for  Turkey Day.  It really is the way to go- all you have to do is bring one side dish, nom on tasty food, and leave.  No stress or cleanup required!  :)

But this year, I decided to try my hand at cooking my first Thanksgiving Dinner!  :)  Before I got to work, I needed something cute & casual to wear for the day.  I went with this faux jacketed dress.

Hi!

I hate dresses with sewn-on attachments.  It’s as if they think women can’t be trusted to do their own layering!  Sheesh!

I figured this dress wasn’t THAT bad, so I got to cooking, thinking I would just wear it as-is.

It should be fine, right?

JUST KIDDING!  :D  There was NO way I was going to let my guests see me looking like this!  I loved the jacket part of this dress though- with its funky print and fully functional brass frogs.  :)

To get started, I ripped out those shoulder pads.

Byeeee!

Then, I cut the top part of the dress that had the jacket sewn on away from the bottom part.

Snnnnip!

Don’t worry! I’m saving the bottom scrap! :)

The front of the jacket was sewn down the middle, so I couldn’t actually use it as a jacket yet.  I grabbed my seam ripper and got rid of the stitching.

pick…pick…pick!

This didn’t leave any raw edges, as the seams for the front of the faux jacket were still intact.  :)

I made a little snip at the neckline to get the whole thing opened up.

C’mon! Open up to me! :)

This did leave raw edges, so I sewed them down.  :)

Just a little whirrrrrrr!

Almost done!  When I cut the bottom of the dress from the top of the dress, I had to cut right through the zipper.  I didn’t want to risk this coming open (as there would be no way for me to zip it back up again, so I stitched it down at the bottom.

Stitching over a plastic zipper is no big dealio! :)

And that’s it!  With just those few little changes, my new jacket was ready to help me in the kitchen!  :)

Say Cheese! :)

I’ve gotta admit, making such a big dinner was no joke!  Thankfully, I had a couple of swell helpers!  :)

Either my fella’s son is growing, or I’m shrinking. :P

I multi-tasked like a boss…

Hmmmn…looks good! :)

…and made sure to take plenty of wine breaks!

Gotta pace yourself! ;)

I’m really happy with how my dinner turned out!  I bought pretty much everything from Aldi, so even though I made quite a feast, I still didn’t end up paying that much.  :)  I even bought a couple of bunches of flowers for about $4, and made awesome fall flower arrangements with old vases and stuff from my yard!  :)  Instead of making a big ol’  turkey, I decided to make some tasty cornish hens!

Cluck Cluck! :)

It really was quite a spread!  :)

Hmmmnn…wonder what it looks like under there…

BAM!

Makes your mouth water, doesn’t it? :)

But wait…there’s more! :)

Even more tasty nommage! :)

Martha Stewart, eat your heart out! :)

I managed to get everything ready just in time for my guests!  :)

So thankful to have such awesome pals! :)

Cheers!  :)

[title of refashion]
Festival of Trees Gala Dress

12 Comments on Happy Thanksgiving Jacket

1. SequoiaLynn
    November 23, 2012 at 2:04 pm (2 years ago)

Congrats on your first dinner! I was expecting a refashioned apron idea. :) Are your pitcher and dinner plates, Fiesta?? Love them!

November 24, 2012 at 11:06 am (2 years ago)

Thanks! Oh man…I have so many aprons. :) Yep. I loooove my Fiestaware! :)

2. Stephanie
    November 23, 2012 at 5:13 pm (2 years ago)

I hosted Thanksgiving as well! Taking wine breaks is the only way to survive. :) I LOVE your blog. You are truly a creative inspiration to me!

3. lonichol
    November 23, 2012 at 7:08 pm (2 years ago)

You seem really happy – which makes me happy ! Happy Thanksgiving =D xx

4. Joy
    November 24, 2012 at 2:11 am (2 years ago)

What a nice celebration, well done chef. Even though I miss you daily posts, the fact you have a new people in your life that you are spending time with is really cool. PS – I see you have flip flaps on? You would be able to live here in Australia very well (although we call them thongs …. yeah, I know. The foot kind) :)

5. Chica Andaluza
    November 24, 2012 at 5:59 am (2 years ago)

Congrats on everything – the refashion, the meal and the way you´ve come up smiling despite a tricky year :)

6. Cassandra Arnold
    November 24, 2012 at 4:07 pm (2 years ago)

OMG, you are my HERO!!! I just spent about 2 hours reading through this blog and am just blown away by your creativity and talent! Thank you sooo much for sharing, I am a huge thrift-store person and have tried to do some of this stuff myself, but never had such great ideas. Can’t wait to see what you’ll come up with next!! Happy Thanksgiving to one super-cool, smart, and gorgeous Chick. :-)

7. Kasey DeVore
    November 24, 2012 at 6:19 pm (2 years ago)

I have spent a large majority of my Thanksgiving weekend reading your blog!! You’re inspiring me to get a sewing machine! I love mixing and matching outfits, and going Goodwill-ing (and to Plato’s Closet) but I’ve never thought of changing things as much as you do! To say I’m inspired and obsessed with your ideas is an understatement!!

8. Diane
    November 28, 2012 at 10:48 am (2 years ago)

Love the jacket and the frogs are fabulous! Your Thanksgiving feast looks delicious and you look very happy…this year I am counting access to your creativity one of my many blessings : )!

9. 1mindgames
    November 29, 2012 at 1:44 pm (2 years ago)

You are so talented! I love your blog. I’m very happy that I’ve come across you. Can’t wait for further posts!

10. KarenS
    November 30, 2012 at 6:23 am (2 years ago)

You are truly amazing! Kudos for your genius and creativity!

11. lialou
    December 12, 2012 at 10:07 am (2 years ago)

It’s like not having coffee, I need a fix. Where are you Refashionista?