Half-Off Day at The Goodwill Clearance Center!

Happy Christmas Eve Eve, Everybody!  :)  Today’s post is dedicated to one of my favorite places to score uber-cheap refashionables…The Goodwill Clearance Center!

Several of you have asked me for more details about this slightly scary place of mystery and wonder.  So, I’m going to take you along!  :)

Goodwill stores are easy to find.  You probably have one in your town.  Buuuuut…Goodwill Clearance Centers aren’t quite as common.  This is the best list I could find of locations.  So, I’m a lucky gal to have one of these dubious treasure troves so very close to me.

In we go!!!

Here’s what it looks like on the inside!

BEHOLD!!!

BEHOLD!!!

Note the complete and utter lack of racks or any sort of organizational system of any kind.  This place isn’t for the faint of heart, friends.

Come in prepared to dig!

Okaaaaay…so this is a slight exaggeration. ;)

Buuuuut…everything is $1 a pound!  EXCEPT on Sundays, when everything is FIFTY CENTS A POUND!!!!!  (Squeeee!)

I recommend wearing gloves.  I’m not kidding.

No Glove, No Love!  :)

No Glove, No Love! :)

You think I’m going too far with the glove thing, don’t you?

goodwill1

OH MY GAWD!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!

Why yes…that’s a syringe folks.  A flippin’ SYRINGE!!!!!  You never know what you’re going to find in these bins!

Let’s just try to forget about that for now, okay?

I dug in…looking for items that weren’t too stained, weird-smelling, or gross to use.

You'll dye nicely!  :)

You’ll dye nicely! :)

Recognize this?

Recognize this?

The search continues!

The search continues!

These clearance centers aren’t just for clothing either.  They are also purveyors of fine reading materials!

This should make for some pleasant holiday reading!

This should make for some pleasant holiday reading!

After an hour or so of intense rummaging, I had a big bag ‘o fun stuff!

Huzzah!!!

Huzzah!!!

And what was the price of all this, you ask?

BAM!!!

BAM!!!

Happy Thrifting!  :)

style=”display:inline-block;width:336px;height:280px”
data-ad-client=”ca-pub-5202441266816777″
data-ad-slot=”9369005640″>

21 Comments on Half-Off Day at The Goodwill Clearance Center!

1. versatilestylebytracey
    December 23, 2012 at 5:36 pm (1 year ago)

I have so been wanting to go to my local one but have not ventured forth yet. but hope that changes soon!

2. kC
    December 23, 2012 at 5:38 pm (1 year ago)

You know, I think I actually was scared to check out one of these places. That receipt has got me feeling inspired! I’m glad I waited, because now I know to wear gloves. Thanks for the tour.

3. Donna L
    December 23, 2012 at 6:02 pm (1 year ago)

Great discription!!!! Loved it!Also love the “dives” myself!Thank you for a good chuckle!!

4. jenjenn711
    December 23, 2012 at 6:03 pm (1 year ago)

I was shocked the first time I opened the door to one of these places, but I do love them. There’s one about an hour from us and one near my husband’s hometown in Columbia, so I try to arrange a quick stop if we’re on our way through and have time. It’s not much fun dragging three little kids through a clearance center though, so it only happens a couple times a year. I sometimes find myself wishing for gloves as I dig, especially when I spot a thong in the heaps of clothing :-/ It’s just that with gloves, it’s hard to feel if the fabric is something I want! We definitely use hand sanitizer when we get back to the car, though.

5. Barbara Gadd
    December 23, 2012 at 6:56 pm (1 year ago)

Love the book choice! Can’t wait to see what your plans are for the clothes :)

6. Susan@organized31
    December 23, 2012 at 7:13 pm (1 year ago)

WOW! You’re one brave adventurer. My teen daughter has informed me this year that Christmas Eve Eve is Christmas Adam (because Adam came before Eve). Makes me chuckle. It’s the first I’ve heard of it, but I like it.

7. tilacata
    December 23, 2012 at 8:59 pm (1 year ago)

I. Love. This. I didn’t realize the center I passed all the time was one of these $1/lb stores. I’ll have o check it out on a lunch break one of these days!

8. Judith Dyer
    December 24, 2012 at 2:04 am (1 year ago)

Now I know how all the great U.S. style clothing gets to the flea market where I live in Merida, Mexico. Some even have Goodwill tags. It’s the best shopping in this town.

9. Chica Andaluza
    December 28, 2012 at 2:54 pm (1 year ago)

Wow – we don´t have naything like this in Spain or the UK. And I´m with you on the gloves :)

10. Marcia Tennyson
    January 2, 2013 at 11:19 am (1 year ago)

Ooh, the goodwill outlet is a nicer, cleaner version of the Salvation Army Dig and Save center! There are huge boxes and bins to dig through. And the prices are the same, except the 1/2 priced day is on Wednesday! I’ve found some amazing kid’s toys, furnature, bikes, books, bowling balls, and clothing jems! I wish there were more of these places!

11. Marie Adina
    January 3, 2013 at 4:41 pm (1 year ago)

Catching up on all the posts I missed while out during Christmas, and as I was reading, Macklemore’s Thrift Store song came on the radio! Have you heard it? It was a surreal experience reading and listening =)

January 3, 2013 at 5:17 pm (1 year ago)

This Cracked me up!!! LOVE IT!!! :D

12. smile789
    February 4, 2013 at 12:39 am (1 year ago)

There used to be one less than a mile away from me, but they closed it :(

13. Michelle
    March 12, 2013 at 8:47 am (1 year ago)

I agree, thank you for the tour. Your blog keeps getting better and better!

14. Robyn Beach
    March 21, 2013 at 2:23 am (1 year ago)

I love the Bins (thats what we call that place out here in Oregon!), and have often shopped there. I used to take a friend and we would spend $50 and come home with bags and bags of clothes for us and her girls! I also took lots of tissues and allergy medication with me! I need to go again, its been a long time!

15. Brittany
    July 5, 2013 at 3:43 pm (10 months ago)

OMG! How did I not know about these here in FL? I have one less than 15 minutes from my house!! *Excited squeal* Thank you for this post! I am an avid thrifter/consignmenter (if that’s actually a word) and just LOVE your blog. I enjoy upcyclingre/fashioning too and can’t wait to try some of your ideas :) Happy Upcycling!

16. Jenny
    August 6, 2013 at 3:44 pm (8 months ago)

That list is missing one! The one in my town to be exact. Lubbock, TX. Not sure of the address, but it’s on East 34th Street. Huzzah! Love the Pound Store.

17. Erica
    October 12, 2013 at 4:32 pm (6 months ago)

There is one in Tyler TX that is not at all like the one you were in. It is actually a place that the local mall donates all its rejects too. The place is packed full of brand name clothes that have slight imperfections or are fugly. They do not charge by the pound, they are actually one of the most expensive GW I’ve every been to. My local gw has $5 grab bags though, they are trash bags full or clothes, accessories, or toys.