Happy St. Pat’s!

Happy St. Pat’s Vol. 2!
The Perfect Little Black Dress

Technically, this is supposed to be Q&A Monday.  So…I could either answer a question, or show you a fun refashion from my fabulous St. Patrick’s Day weekend.  Which one do you think I’ll choose?

That's right!  :)

That’s right! :)

When I scored this dress for a mere dollar, I knew it was exactly what I needed to celebrate one of my favorite holidays, St. Patrick’s Day!!!

Now, clearly this dress has a few issues, but methinks I can get them taken care of in time to get my drink on!  :)

I didn’t like anything about the top of this dress.  As temps were in the 70’s, I decided some choppage was in order!

Chop!

Chop!

Some of you are really going to hate what I did next…which was remove the peplum (I know some of you love ‘em).

Byeeee!

Byeeee!

There are a couple of reasons for this.  First, I hate peplums.  Yes, I’ve done several refashions where I’ve left a peplum in tact, but that was really more for your benefit than mine (I’m selfless like that).  Also, I knew I’d be taking this dress in from the sides, and that peplum would just get in the way.  So…off it went!

I snipped really carefully, but you could still see where the peplum had been cut.

Messy!  :(

Messy! :(

No biggie!  I turned the dress inside-out and restitched the seam between the skirt and the top (sort of like a french seam).

This'll hide the mess!  :)

This’ll hide the mess! :)

I hemmed the raw edge on the top of the dress…

Whirrrrr!

Whirrrrr!

…then I got to work on taking in the sides!

Getting it nice & fitted!

Getting it nice & fitted!

...almost done!!!!

…almost done!!!!

I must apologize for failing to photograph what I did next.  :(  I added two green halter straps to the front of the dress from a tshirt I was also working on refashioning.  You can only barely see them in the after pics, as my hair is covering them up.  Just know they’re there and they look just fine (promise!).  :)

Check out that dress now!

Mmmmm!  Sassy!

Mmmmm! Sassy!

My new frock was perfect for a St. Pat’s party with pals!  :)

Green with envy?

Green with envy?

...just a normal face for Jacques!

…just a normal face for Jacques

Hi over there!

Hi over there!

Heeeere's Jonny!  :)

Heeeere’s Jonny! :)

I'm short.  :(

I’m short. :(

You guys asked for it, and now I'm going to start putting this at the end of each post (See?  I'm listening!)!  :)

You guys asked for it, and now I’m going to start putting this at the end of each post (See? I’m listening!)! :)

Happy St. Pat’s Vol. 2!
The Perfect Little Black Dress

31 Comments on Happy St. Pat’s!

1. Crystal
    March 18, 2013 at 2:02 pm (2 years ago)

ok – question!! Where do I get a dress form that I can use to make clothes that will actually fit me? And your refashes never cease to amaze me! :)

• Helen
      March 18, 2013 at 2:22 pm (2 years ago)

I would recommend making one yourself (not as impossible as it sounds, don’t worry!), the instructions here are really good. You save a bucket-load of money compared to buying one and it is also completely fitted to you, as opposed to “generic mannequin shape”! :p

I made one myself, although if I could do it again I would get a friend to help me (much much easier!) and I would also take care not to make the shoulders so wide, as I struggle to get some things on and off mine. It was fun to make though and it’s definitely useful!

• seamssewsilly
      March 18, 2013 at 4:30 pm (2 years ago)

If you are just starting out and haven’t decided if this is going to be your bag or not, I would totally agree with making your own. If you are already pretty into sewing and also sew for other people of different sizes, this adjustable Singer model is available online at JoAnns. I don’t recommend the cheaper one, as it’s cheap.

March 18, 2013 at 6:46 pm (2 years ago)

^This. :) I ordered mine on Amazon.com for about $100. Making your own might be the way to go at first. It might even be all you really need! :)

• Diane
          March 19, 2013 at 10:59 am (2 years ago)

I am just now doing my first refashion with my new dress form – what a difference it makes! No more awkward wiggling and pin pricks…I, too, got mine from Amazon – it was on sale for about $80.00 and I love it.

2. Vicki
    March 18, 2013 at 2:06 pm (2 years ago)

Very Cute! And I love all the “Befores” lined up on the rack behind you! Can’t wait to see them!

3. Bert
    March 18, 2013 at 2:07 pm (2 years ago)

LOVE LOVE LOVE

4. Carlee
    March 18, 2013 at 2:18 pm (2 years ago)

Very cute! And I agree, down with peplums! They are too eighties.

5. firstmute
    March 18, 2013 at 2:22 pm (2 years ago)

Aw, I like the peplum. But that’s what’s great about sewing–you can make the clothes YOU like, instead of wearing what the stores want you to like!

6. diaryofamadmama
    March 18, 2013 at 3:17 pm (2 years ago)

I’m totally down with the peplum. I’m one of your fans that would’ve left it on, but I agree with firstmute, the great thing about refashioning is transforming something into something that fits you (both literally and figuratively!) ;)
    ~Jen

7. vjstracener
    March 18, 2013 at 3:37 pm (2 years ago)

That looks a lot better after.

8. fiddlyfingerslou
    March 18, 2013 at 4:27 pm (2 years ago)

I love your refashions – but I do think you can pull pretty much anything off as you are so slim! A fitted dress on me, after three kids, would not look quite so great… ;-)

9. Leah / Super Starling!
    March 18, 2013 at 4:32 pm (2 years ago)

I am completely behind you on the peplum decision — who wants all that weight right in the middle? Eeep! Blurg! Etc! It’s a Pinterest-fueled fad I want to disappear! The finished product is super-duper cute, and I love how you typically wrap up your posts with you having a fabulous time.

10. Ashley Bee
    March 18, 2013 at 4:41 pm (2 years ago)

I hate peplums! Why would I willingly wear a butt flap??

11. libbysawyer
    March 18, 2013 at 7:09 pm (2 years ago)

It looks like the buttons aren’t evenly spaced, or is that just the camera angle? Very nice refashion indeed.

March 18, 2013 at 9:58 pm (2 years ago)

The buttons aren’t evenly spaced. Not sure why…just how the dress was made. Strange, huh?

12. omlair
    March 18, 2013 at 7:29 pm (2 years ago)

LOVE IT! and the before and after shots are great!

13. sgsy
    March 18, 2013 at 11:48 pm (2 years ago)

Wonderful before and after shot. The refashion looks WAY better than the before!

14. Betty
    March 19, 2013 at 7:58 am (2 years ago)

Very cute! Love how you just cut in to things! Would be a disaster if I tried that…

15. Jill
    March 19, 2013 at 10:40 am (2 years ago)

I really love what you did, the changes you made. I only have one question. Why did you make the straps out of other material? Why not use what was left over from the dress. I am amazed and in awe that you can take old frumpy huge clothing and make something very stylish out of it. I love your thinking outside the box!!

March 21, 2013 at 5:22 pm (2 years ago)

Thanks! I just loved the softness of the other material and knew it would feel nice on my shoulders. :) I saved the scrap from the dress though, and hope to be able to use it soon! :)

16. Diane
    March 19, 2013 at 10:56 am (2 years ago)

Very cute – that “before” dress was one hot mess! I would have shrieked and run in horror. You are a brave soul!

17. Bat Ma'am
    March 19, 2013 at 11:10 am (2 years ago)

One of my faves! I’m super jealous its in the 70’s over there, its in the 40’s up in WA today! I’m sick of refashioning sweaters, I want some strappy cute dresses and hacked up t shirts!! Although I have created the easiest pattern EVER for turning sweaters/sweatshirts into yoga pants and leggings (the shoulders become the hips, the armpits become the crotch, stitch the 2 pieces together, add a waistband, DONE!) I’d love to see you try some if my description made enough sense LOL

18. Maureen R.
    March 19, 2013 at 5:58 pm (2 years ago)

I have to say that I think all of your refashies are getting better and better. This is absolutely superb!!

19. Gretchen Kohhaas
    March 21, 2013 at 9:56 am (2 years ago)

I didn’t ever notice the need for the before and after picture side by side – but I love it! It is a great way to wrap the whole post up and show us how much work you did! Great re-fashion!

20. Pat B
    March 21, 2013 at 5:32 pm (2 years ago)

This is an amazing refash! I found your blog a couple of weeks ago, and have spent WAY to many hours looking at your previous refashions. I want to thank you for helping me look at old clothes with new eyes.

21. kat
    March 21, 2013 at 5:37 pm (2 years ago)

I hate peplums too, although they usually look nice in your refashes (i am not nearly so slim, so I will not be adding excess fabric to my hips). But a peplum on this refash? Idk, I can’t even imagine! It’s so sleek and streamlined the way you made it. Love it just the way it is!

22. VeronicaS
    March 22, 2013 at 8:57 am (2 years ago)

I love this. I think this is my favorite of your refashions!

23. okgirl
    April 3, 2013 at 12:33 pm (1 year ago)

Your ‘french seam’ idea to hide the cut-off peplum is brilliant! There have been so many times I’ve passed on a refashion because the raw edge of removal would be too obvious. There’s a whole new world of refashion options open to me now!

24. Jessie
    April 17, 2013 at 5:38 pm (1 year ago)

I’m a new admirer of your blog, but this is definitely one of my faves so far. You are so very talented & inspirational.

25. Jamie
    September 30, 2013 at 9:15 pm (12 months ago)

L.O.V.E the before and after side by side change.