Lemongrass Dress

Unzipped Top
Wannabe Wednesday: Retail Therapy & A Lesson in Dyeing!

Happy Monday Everybody!  I did a few refashions over the weekend, so I’m just gonna hop right to sharing one of them with you, rather than doing the standard Q&A.  I hope this is alright!  :)

I began with this cool cotton number:

Cool as in lightweight.

Cool as in lightweight.

Oh geez…where do I begin?  The length is horrible, and I hate the color.  It’s also just a bit too big for me.

Last week, I put a synthetic dress in a yellow dye bath.  It wasn’t alone!

Remember me?

Remember me?

bathing buddies!

bathing buddies!

Hopefully you all remember your elementary school art class where you learned that yellow and blue make green.  In this case a VERY bright green!  :)

One my dress was dyed and dried, I started taking it in from the back.

Looks like a fin, doesn't it?

Looks like a fin, doesn’t it?

I ran the back through my machine…

Whirrrr!

Whirrrr!

…then I chopped off a good bit of that ooglay length!

Chop!

Chop!

A quick hem job followed!

No raw edges up in here!

No raw edges up in here!

I removed a couple ‘o bits from the sides of the dress, as I knew I’d want to style this dress with a belt.

Snip!

Snip!

Later!

Later!

Now that dress is done, and ready for a fun cookout with friends!  :)

Ta-Da!

Ta-Da!

I have to say, one of my hosts is a pretty flippin’ awesome chef/food blogger.  You can check out his blog, How To:  Spend A Life, right here!

Seriously.  This dude can cook!

Seriously. This dude can cook!

His girlfriend helped out a good bit, too.  :)

Hey Jen!

Puppy! :)

Isn't it though?

Isn’t it though?

Good times, to be sure!

collage

Unzipped Top
Wannabe Wednesday: Retail Therapy & A Lesson in Dyeing!

50 Comments on Lemongrass Dress

1. Merry
    April 8, 2013 at 7:25 pm (2 years ago)

Hi Refashionista: The link to your friend’s How To blog did not work, what is the website address?

2. Leah
    April 8, 2013 at 7:36 pm (2 years ago)

How does the seam come out on the collar when you take it in from the back? I attempted to take in a blazer from the back and probably made it more complicated than I needed to.

April 9, 2013 at 9:58 am (2 years ago)

I actually taper it up to the collar so I don’t have to deal with that. But that doesn’t always work. What you CAN do is make a panel that you then sew over the ugly seam to cover it. That does the trick.

3. omi
    April 8, 2013 at 7:36 pm (2 years ago)

CUTE!!!

4. Vickie
    April 8, 2013 at 8:10 pm (2 years ago)

Love, love, love following your blog! I always look forward to it and your projects and postings always bring a smile to my face! Someday I’ll have time to sew again. Thank you for the inspiration!

5. Danyell Kessler
    April 8, 2013 at 8:14 pm (2 years ago)

You guys get Summer Solstice out there!?

April 9, 2013 at 9:56 am (2 years ago)

Yep! We have to go to liquor stores to get it, but we sure do!

6. Tracey
    April 8, 2013 at 8:24 pm (2 years ago)

Cute! From your final picture it looks like the dye job was not even, however I like the color blocking effect. Is this what happened or is the picture lighting off?

• Sam
      April 8, 2013 at 9:18 pm (2 years ago)

In the close up it seems to be made up of different fabrics, maybe thats why…love the result!!

April 9, 2013 at 9:53 am (2 years ago)

There are a couple of corduroy patches on the top of the dress. I should have explained that one. :)

7. Liz
    April 8, 2013 at 8:25 pm (2 years ago)

Your amazing. I wish I knew how so sew.

8. Alyssa
    April 8, 2013 at 8:28 pm (2 years ago)

I absolutely ADORE your blog! While I was pregnant I went on a big organic kick. I never even thought about how I could be Eco- friendly with my clothes. You have inspired me to go out and buy a sewing machine and start refashioning :)

9. Susan
    April 8, 2013 at 8:32 pm (2 years ago)

Very cute, and I love the colour!

10. Willow
    April 8, 2013 at 8:39 pm (2 years ago)

You saved that poor dress lol It’s really cute! I’d love to see how the back turned out.

11. christinapertz1
    April 8, 2013 at 8:58 pm (2 years ago)

i love it! I really like the color too! I hope I can find a similar type dress to refashion for myself :) I think this refashion I could pull off!

12. Melany
    April 8, 2013 at 9:46 pm (2 years ago)

I love it! It looks so good on you :)

13. Shannon
    April 8, 2013 at 10:37 pm (2 years ago)

From sister-wife to suh-weeeet!

14. Diane
    April 8, 2013 at 11:00 pm (2 years ago)

Oh you saved that dull, bizarre dress!!! Thanks to you, I’ve got a few items in a dye bath right now – would never have attempted it without your inspiration!

15. Lee
    April 8, 2013 at 11:03 pm (2 years ago)

Really cute dress! I love your dresses and how you show us how to put them together :). Have you ever thought of/ know anyone who was able to make a good button-up shirt makeover? I have a problem with gapping in most button-downs, so I go a size bigger but I have a small waist and want to have a more fitted look sometimes. I’d love to see more tutorials and inspiration on anything that you make, your dye jobs and blocking posts have helped already!

Oh and I spent two hours looking through your blog last night. Thank you for starting this. It is such an inspiration.

16. Stephanie
    April 8, 2013 at 11:43 pm (2 years ago)

I love this color of this dress. Awesome refashion!!!

17. sagegrayson
    April 8, 2013 at 11:52 pm (2 years ago)

Oh my gosh…that “before” picture is…somethin’ else… :)

18. Lex
    April 9, 2013 at 4:08 am (2 years ago)

The only problem I’ve noticed about dying cotton these days is that invariably it is sewn with Polyester thread or some variant of a synthetic blend. I put a tired-looking cotton top with a pretty broderie anglaise section into a gorgeous bright pink dye bath to liven it up, but when I took it out and rinsed it, the thread was still white! It looks loads better now though so I don’t mind so much but it looks as though your refash has the same situation – undyable thread. I’ve started to dye strategically – if I know the thread won’t dye, I’ll choose a complimentary dye colour – either contrasting or darker shade to make a statement. It’s working quite well for me. Was that the plan here?

Is it terrible that I quite liked the ‘before’ picture? – I kinda guessed where you were going with it (I’ve been lurking a long time and I can kinda see your preferred style) but when I saw the length I immediately though ‘Maxi-skirt’. I thought: Stitch up the button placket but leave a small split, remove the buttons (if pos), turn it around so that placket is a back seam, gather and stitch to an elastic waistband – light cotton maxi skirt win. That was my first thought. Then maybe make a cute short jackety-thing with the top part. But then I am quite into maxi skirts but being fairly tall I struggle to get them long enough – they end up flapping about my ankles :-S

I liked the possibilities for the large expanse of skirt fabric too – all sorts of fun dye techniques – batik, dip-dye, Ombre etc. It seems a shame to waste the opportunity to play with those ideas – it’s rare that we see such a ‘blank canvas’.

April 9, 2013 at 9:55 am (2 years ago)

Oh man…why did you have to say this. Now I wish I had gone maxi skirt! I’ll be sure to think of that when I look at long dresses in the future! But I seriously think you’re right, and that would have been a better direction! :/

19. veronica
    April 9, 2013 at 5:18 am (2 years ago)

You are amazing! I like the fact that you have lately started putting the before and after pictures next to each other. I wanted to ask you to do that!

20. Marit
    April 9, 2013 at 5:52 am (2 years ago)

I really love your work!

21. Chica Andaluza
    April 9, 2013 at 6:01 am (2 years ago)

Fabulous and the colour of spring!

22. KT Bosse-Foy
    April 9, 2013 at 6:13 am (2 years ago)

I love the fact the dress looks very slightly two-tone (pockets versus sleeves) – looks great!

23. Flo
    April 9, 2013 at 7:06 am (2 years ago)

That was one ugly dress when you started, way too long for the style. Great idea to shorten it up! I finally decided to dye two pair of capris that I’d been thinking about for a while last week, so glad I did, thanks for the “incentive”!

24. Vicki
    April 9, 2013 at 10:32 am (2 years ago)

So Cute! Can’t wait to see what you do with the blue prom dress on the rack behind you!

April 10, 2013 at 2:54 pm (2 years ago)

Tee hee! I have a gala to volunteer at next month…methinks it’ll be making an appearance! :)

25. Almarie de Villiers
    April 9, 2013 at 3:17 pm (2 years ago)

Nice refashion. I love looking at you making a new creation out of an ugly old one. Just me wondering, do you ever use the fabric that you cut of – like the bottom of the dress you chopped off?

April 26, 2013 at 2:07 pm (1 year ago)

Look at my porch post from this week! :) or in the search thingy, type “scrap”. Hopefully my scrappy refashes will pull up! :)

26. Pil Calderon
    April 9, 2013 at 4:21 pm (2 years ago)

Love the COLOR!….. like this refash

27. Heather Hogan
    April 10, 2013 at 4:39 pm (2 years ago)

I just have to say that grilled eggplant is an amazing substance in which the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. I like the bright green color of the new dress, too!

28. thehungrythrifter
    April 14, 2013 at 10:11 pm (2 years ago)

I am in love with this dress, as well as your blog! I wish I had your skills with a sewing machine, although i guess I’d need to own a sewing machine first. Your buddy’s How To: Spend a Life blog is great too, can’t wait to try some recipes. And how was Cards Against Humanity? It’s one of my favorite inappropriate games! Keep the blog posts coming!

29. Custom Taste (@Custom_Taste)
    April 16, 2013 at 12:05 am (2 years ago)

What do you do with all that extra fabric from cutting maxi dresses and skirts? You must have a crazy scrap material drawer? lol

April 26, 2013 at 2:06 pm (1 year ago)

Tee hee. Check out my porch post from this week!

30. beck
    April 20, 2013 at 10:14 pm (2 years ago)

this is my favourite re-fashion ever! looks awesome!

31. Johanna Elsemore
    May 9, 2013 at 9:51 am (1 year ago)

Just stumbled upon your blog recently and can’t get enough! Love, love, love the fashion! Also see a Anderson Valley Summer Solstice peekin’ in there – one of my faves! Toured their brewery last spring.

32. Kate
    October 7, 2013 at 1:35 pm (1 year ago)

Was just clicking around for some inspiration (regular reader of yours) and the dog in this post looks JUST like mine!

• Jennika
      July 21, 2014 at 7:11 pm (3 months ago)

That’s my dog, Susi! She’s a Saarloos Wolfhund.

33. Jess-doll
    August 22, 2014 at 1:07 pm (2 months ago)

So, I’m suuuuuuper late to the party (friend sent me a link to your blog about a week ago, and I’ve been binge-reading all of your posts since)…. but I must say, this might be one of my favorite refashions yet! I do a lot of sewing, but almost never think to dye things I have! Seems like such a simple way to update the look of something. Thanks for the inspiration! :-)