Lena Dunham-Inspired Romper

No-Sew Dilophosaurus Top
Rachel’s Reader ReFash!

I have good news and bad news.

The good news is, I’ve been doing a lot of work on the back end of this blog/preparing it for a redesign (yay!).  The bad news is, if you’ve been following my blog by email, you probably aren’t anymore as all of my email followers (5,000+) were lost in migration (boo!).  This means you’ll need to resubscribe (see the sidebar on your right).  :(  I’m really sorry for this inconvenience, and I hope you’ll still follow me.  I don’t know how you’re going to actually get this message, since it’s no longer showing up in your inbox, but hey…A girl’s gotta try!

To ease my pain from losing so many of you (temporarily, I hope!), I did a refashion!  :D

I have been a tireless hater of the jumpsuit.  I have turned every single one I’ve encountered into a dress.  Without exception.  You don’t believe me?  Check it out for yourself.

But then I stumbled upon this $1 cutie:

Comfy!

Comfy!

I’ve always hated jumpers and rompers.  But then I saw Lena Dunham looking super cute and comfy in an episode of Girls.

I'm part of the 2% of Americans who don't hate her.  :)

I’m part of the 2% of Americans who don’t hate her. :)

I decided to keep the legs!  :)  Buuuut…they’d need to be snipped a good bit to make it through a hot & muggy South Carolina day!

Choppage!

Choppage!

I used my pinking shears to cut off the legs, as I wouldn’t be able to fold the raw edge under twice like I usually do.  If I did, my sewing machine needle wouldn’t be able to make it through the parts that had super-thick piping.

If this was folded over twice, my needle would break!

If this was folded over twice, my needle wouldn’t make it through!

I ran each leg through my machine, and gave the whole thing a quick press.  Now I have a romper I absolutely LOVE romping around in!

Ready to romp!

Ready to romp!

This romper is really much too short to be worn to work, buuuuut…I kind of wore it anyway.  I work for an arts agency with low dress code standards, so this wasn’t a big deal.  :)

Meet my lovely coworker, Laurel!  :)   Glad she got the "Wear Black and White" memo!

Meet my lovely coworker, Laurel! :) Glad she got the “Wear Black and White” memo!

So, Lena…just let me know if you’d like me to hook you up with a few of these, okay?  I kind of dream of working in the costume department of your show.  :)

ba61013

No-Sew Dilophosaurus Top
Rachel’s Reader ReFash!

58 Comments on Lena Dunham-Inspired Romper

1. Tina
    June 10, 2013 at 6:15 pm (2 years ago)

I’m following via Feedly, a RSS Reader, so hopefully they’ll all get the memo! My thighs would never look OK in a romper like this but I still love your refashioning magic! :)

2. Lauren
    June 10, 2013 at 6:42 pm (2 years ago)

Bytheway the new layout doesn’t work well with mobile viewing, it’s all to one side and isn’t easy to read you have to zoom in. Is it finished?

June 10, 2013 at 9:17 pm (2 years ago)

Ugh…it’s totally not finished. :/ I’m still workin’ on it now and probably will be all week! Hang in there. It’ll get fixed, I promise! :)

• Joy in London UK
      June 11, 2013 at 6:46 pm (2 years ago)

Yeah I’m having the same problem too :(

3. undressed2012
    June 10, 2013 at 7:26 pm (2 years ago)

Awesome! That’s a great job

4. Jennifer
    June 10, 2013 at 7:44 pm (2 years ago)

I’m DEFINITELY liking the romper. It looks really cute on you. I like how you paired it with the shrug – really original! Well done!

5. Amanda
    June 10, 2013 at 8:06 pm (2 years ago)

I’m with you- never been a big fan of rompers. BUT you may have just changed my mind! That is too adorable! The print is perfect. Love it!

Amanda @ Running In Heels
    amandarollo.blogspot.com

6. April
    June 10, 2013 at 8:34 pm (2 years ago)

Your version looks cute (unlike Lena’s)! I think I’d feel like a baby in a onesie wearing a romper though.

7. Teresa Kroeker
    June 10, 2013 at 8:35 pm (2 years ago)

Yay! I used to follow by email then switched to Bloglovin’. Sooo glad I did. :)

I love what you do with each of the thrifty finds that you share with us, your readers. You have given me the gumption to plunge ahead into trying my hand at it. My sewing machine has been brought back upstairs (I cannot work in basements) and my quest is to find an article that I can see potential AND that I can see myself actually wearing too. I used to sew back in the day when our children were much younger…youngest is now 26! :P I thoroughly enjoyed whipping up outfits for the kiddos and jackets for the hubby too. I had not sewn much for myself. :(

So, do you advise that I look into getting a dress form to help fitting the clothing better?

June 10, 2013 at 9:16 pm (2 years ago)

Thank you so much! :) Yes. A dress form will take your refashions to the next level AND make your life easier. :)

8. Mireya
    June 10, 2013 at 8:35 pm (2 years ago)

Lena would be so lucky to have you! I am obsessed with “Girls” but her wardrobe is tragic. Whoever their wardrobe people are probably have a blast looking for hideous onesies for her to wear. It lends to Hannah’s quirky character though. I am in the 2%!

9. Katie
    June 10, 2013 at 9:18 pm (2 years ago)

Awww. I love Lena. I started watching Girls this December on demand while I was voted on vacation from work. She’s amazing.

• Katie
      June 10, 2013 at 9:19 pm (2 years ago)

*home

10. Maureen
    June 10, 2013 at 10:33 pm (2 years ago)

This is really nice. You’re too cute in the last picture!!

11. Danielle
    June 10, 2013 at 11:38 pm (2 years ago)

I never check my WordPress reader, you were just one of the faves that got viewed through my email. It’s pure chance that I ended up looking at my reader today and spotted you. So glad I did! Hopefully there aren’t too many readers like me out there :(

12. Jo H.
    June 11, 2013 at 12:18 am (2 years ago)

Looks very good on you. I think 2Momma2, above, was onto something when she said the colour has something to do with it looking more mature.

I never liked wearing things that had to be completely undone to use the ladies room. Too much work :)

13. chong123
    June 11, 2013 at 2:55 am (2 years ago)

Really cute ;) but um… it must be a hassle to pee with that.

June 11, 2013 at 8:07 am (2 years ago)

Haha! It definitely was! :)

14. paula
    June 11, 2013 at 9:54 am (2 years ago)

Love this refash of yours….maybe my favorite! I actually have a couple rompers/jumpsuits that I’ve refashioned and I love them. I’ve worn each of them once. One to a concert, the other to a New Years Eve party. Word of advice: partying and jumpsuits don’t mix well. Drinking tends to make a person pee a lot and getting completely undressed each time you have to use the potty is a pain in the butt!

15. Probably Rachel
    June 11, 2013 at 10:08 am (2 years ago)

I’m not a big fan of rompers, but this one really works. I love it with the red accessories too!

16. seamssewsilly
    June 11, 2013 at 10:08 am (2 years ago)

I, too, adore Lena, and am also a jumpsuit hater. However, this refash has convinced me! I’m so glad you cleared up the only folding under once thing, I was afraid for you (and your lady parts) when I saw how short you cut it! LOL! Lena’s is a little lean in the length and leg circumference, and isn’t super flattering, but your’s turned out perfect! NICE JOB!!!

17. Kayla
    June 11, 2013 at 10:16 am (2 years ago)

Very cute! By the way, this showed up in my inbox!

18. Danielle
    June 11, 2013 at 10:26 am (2 years ago)

I’m not usually a romper fan either but this one looks super cute on you!

19. Holli
    June 11, 2013 at 10:28 am (2 years ago)

I love Lena!! I am also part of the 2%. That romper is too cute on you!

20. Melinda
    June 11, 2013 at 10:31 am (2 years ago)

This is my first time to comment but I am an avid follower. (Note: I’m not a stalker, lol!) I love this look. And paired with the light sweater, it looks pulled together enough for work. When it gets cooler, it would look great with tights, don’t you think? I have to say, though, that it cracks me up that you always have a drink in your hand. It’s your signature pose, don’t you think? Have a lovely day!

• WordPress.com Support
      June 11, 2013 at 11:49 am (2 years ago)

Thanks! What can I say? I’m a thirsty gal!#hydrateordie

21. Jessica P
    June 11, 2013 at 10:57 am (2 years ago)

The good new is- you’re also in the 2% of women who actually look great in a romper! I’m not the same size on top/bottom so I haven’t had much luck. Great refashion!

22. Amanda
    June 11, 2013 at 11:19 am (2 years ago)

Love this one! You are lucky enough to be able to pull off an outfit like this. It looks super comfy for summer!

23. Barbara
    June 11, 2013 at 11:21 am (2 years ago)

I still got you in my inbox! Glad I wasn’t lost! This is my all time fave of your refashions! Nice!

24. carlyfay
    June 11, 2013 at 11:30 am (2 years ago)

Ahhh! This is so adorable! Honestly, one of my fave of your refashions…

25. Ashley Bee
    June 11, 2013 at 11:33 am (2 years ago)

I hate rompers, as a rule, but this one is super cute! Very flattering :)

26. Mikki
    June 11, 2013 at 12:30 pm (2 years ago)

Cute! Looks so much better as a romper!

27. deedee
    June 11, 2013 at 1:34 pm (2 years ago)

I normally hate rompers too- but this is awesome! Nice job :)

28. ladycynthiana
    June 11, 2013 at 3:17 pm (2 years ago)

I’m glad I’ve started following you on facebook, as well as by email! Wouldn’t want to miss a cute refashion like this! I think yours looks much better than Lena Dunhams, and I think it’s because rompers work when they look more tailored and fitted.

29. sewcookgardenrepeat
    June 11, 2013 at 4:20 pm (2 years ago)

I’m usually with you, I don’t like rompers, but it makes your legs look so LONG!!! Nice one!

30. Lisa
    June 11, 2013 at 5:27 pm (2 years ago)

Omigosh, this is FABULOUS with your gams! I would probably nearly kill for legs like yours. Rock
    em!

31. statistics
    June 11, 2013 at 6:20 pm (2 years ago)

Yours looks much better than Lena’s. Hers is WAY too tight on the bottom half.

32. amy
    June 11, 2013 at 6:48 pm (2 years ago)

Your romper is a million times cuter than Lena’s! I love it :)

33. Bethany B,
    June 11, 2013 at 8:37 pm (2 years ago)

Adorable! I don’t think I’ve worn a jumper since middle school, but you kind make me want to give one a chance.

• Bethany B,
      June 11, 2013 at 8:43 pm (2 years ago)

“…kind *of*…”

34. robovixen
    June 11, 2013 at 9:42 pm (2 years ago)

You know, I’ve been warming up to rompers lately and this one is just so cute! I might have to try this.

35. BeingZhenya
    June 11, 2013 at 9:51 pm (2 years ago)

That is super cute and yours looks much better than Lena Dunham’s (I guess I am in the 98% hehe)
    Cheers,
    Z

36. Beth Ineson
    June 11, 2013 at 10:12 pm (2 years ago)

SUPER CUTE! You are a genius, and thanks for sharing your talent with us!

37. sgsy
    June 11, 2013 at 10:42 pm (2 years ago)

The romper looks nice after the chop. The lack of functionality of rompers still boggles me though.

38. kat
    June 12, 2013 at 12:48 am (2 years ago)

Good thing we made you join Pinterest! We’ll all find you somehow!! :)

39. megbenj
    June 12, 2013 at 4:28 pm (2 years ago)

I am a huge fan of the romper, as well as a very chic looking pantsuit!!! Great job – now I am going to be scouring my local Salvation Army’s for something similar to take to task!

40. Farren
    June 13, 2013 at 9:41 am (2 years ago)

Oh my goodness I am the exact same way and every time I see any sort of romper/anything-like-it I quickly walk away as I dry heave a little from disgust…so I have no idea how you made this so dang cute and made me want one!! Awesome job!!! I love it!!!

41. M3 (@mellifluousme)
    June 14, 2013 at 10:11 am (2 years ago)

Man, I am a romper-hater too and I am loving this on you! So inspiring. Great job!

42. simplycess
    June 17, 2013 at 5:20 am (2 years ago)

gorgeous romper!!

43. Darlene
    June 19, 2013 at 9:16 am (2 years ago)

Laurel & I have the same dress! Except mine is navy with white piping. Love it.