One Dress, Three Ways III !

Ashley’s Reader ReFash!
One Dress, Three Ways II !

Welcome to the FINAL CHAPTER in the saga of…

beforebefore

Yesterday’s dress was really awesome!  A lot of you said you wanted me to just stop what I was doing and leave it be.  For those people, all I can say is…

The Doctor understands how I feel.

The Doctor understands how I feel.

Time to get a choppin’!  :)

Don't worry.  It'll all be okay!

Don’t worry. It’ll all be okay!

I decided to turn this dress into a top, just to try and make it into something totally different from its previous incarnations.

That middle part is going to be the foundation of my new piece!  I folded the top raw edge under once, pinned it, and stitched it down!  I used a zigzag stitch so it would stay stretchy.

Whirrrrr!

Whirrrrr!

Remember the leftover side scraps from the second version of this dress?  I’m glad I saved them, as they were going to come in handy for this refash!  I cut them into two identical strips, folded them in half, then stitched them up!

Strip tease!

Strip tease!

I turned each of the fabric tubes inside-out and pinned them to the top of my new top!

So far, so good!

So far, so good!

Then, I stitched them down!

“Well that’s not very exciting!” you’re saying to yourself right now.   “Big whup!  A boring tank top!” you’re adding.

But wait…there’s more!  :)

I took the bottom high-low scrap and snipped a bit off the bottom.  Then, I folded the top edge under twice.

What do I have in mind?

What do I have in mind?

I ran this through my machine, using a straight stitch!

Hmmmmm...I wonder...

Hmmmmm…I wonder…

I grabbed my scissors and started snipping!

It's all becoming clear now, isn't it?

Snip.  Snip.  Snip.  Snip.  Snip.  Snip.  Snip.  Snip.  Etc.

This took a while.

I pinned my new fringy thingy all the way around my new top like so:

Fun with fringe!

Fun with fringe!

For my final trick, I stitched it down with a zigzag!

It's all coming together!

It’s all coming together!

I wore the third version of this dress to California Dreaming where Erin and I consumed several ridiculously cheap drinks!

John Wayne aint got nothing on my fringe game, Hell no!  ;)

John Wayne aint got nothing on my fringe game, Hell no! ;)

When I say cheap, I mean cheap.  House liquor drinks are $1.95 apiece.  All the time.  Always!

This pleased us.

We are pleased!

We are pleased!

You may be cheap, but I love you all the same!

You may be cheap, but I love you all the same!

That’s it!  This is the last one!  The end of One Dress, Three Ways!

ba62013

But I want to know which one was YOUR favorite version?

Was it Dress 1, Dress 2, or Top 3?  :)

Was it Dress 1, Dress 2, or Top 3? :)

Ashley’s Reader ReFash!
One Dress, Three Ways II !

75 Comments on One Dress, Three Ways III !

1. Melissa
    June 20, 2013 at 1:39 pm (1 year ago)

I loved the 2nd dress, but the 3rd option fringed top is to DIE FOR!! SCREAM! I LOVE IT!!!!!

• Andrea Miller (@AndreaMiller21)
      June 21, 2013 at 2:30 pm (1 year ago)

I cannot agree more! The 2nd dress is cute, but there are just so many dresses out there in the refash world. The fringy tank is creative, unique & adorable!

2. Kim
    June 20, 2013 at 1:40 pm (1 year ago)

You are soooo creative! I wish I had half the vision you have…and a sewing machine wouldn’t hurt either! I love to see your fabulous thrift finds come to real life! You are awesome…Please KEEP POSTING!! I think I’m addicted.. ha!!

June 21, 2013 at 2:35 pm (1 year ago)

You have the vision! DO it! :)

3. Nanaflies
    June 20, 2013 at 1:40 pm (1 year ago)

For a conservative look ( for me, not you) I’d like #2with an even hem. That makes FOUR versions!

June 21, 2013 at 2:36 pm (1 year ago)

Haha! I should try to do a series of “How many pieces can I make from 1 dress?”. I could start with a normal dress, and work my way down to a bikini! LOL

4. wolfsimon@aol.com
    June 20, 2013 at 1:43 pm (1 year ago)

All were fab but number 3 is mucho fabuloso!

5. Tamara
    June 20, 2013 at 1:46 pm (1 year ago)

They are all terrific!, but you can’t go back now…

6. 2Momma2
    June 20, 2013 at 1:47 pm (1 year ago)

Ok, I loved yesterday’s dress and was sad to see it go, but this is cute! The placement of the straps is the best parts – such a flattering look for your shoulders. If you asked me before what I thought of shirts with fringe, I wouldn’t be for it. Great job, though, because I really like the fringe too! you did an amazing job with each look! I loved seeing new posts each day, too!

Kristin

June 21, 2013 at 2:37 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you! I have realllllly narrow shoulders, so putting the straps close together gives the illusion of bigger ones. :)

7. Cindy Whitaker
    June 20, 2013 at 2:08 pm (1 year ago)

They are all wonderful, but I admit #2 was my favorite. You have me making dresses from 2 tee shirts. Pretty simple, but it’s a start.

8. Tricia
    June 20, 2013 at 2:22 pm (1 year ago)

Can’t pick just ONE!! They are all great, way to go…..

9. Joyce Love
    June 20, 2013 at 2:24 pm (1 year ago)

I love them all – you are so creative! Love the fringe on the top! I’d love to see what it would look like with a bead or two slid onto the end of each piece of fringe, then knotted!

June 20, 2013 at 2:30 pm (1 year ago)

Ooooh! I like the bead idea! Might have to try it!

• Abbey
        June 21, 2013 at 9:57 am (1 year ago)

I agree with the beads or something. I feel like it just needs a pop of color! But i love the style!

10. mindilee
    June 20, 2013 at 2:32 pm (1 year ago)

i’m sorry. i can’t vote. i love love love the fit of dress two on you, but that shirt.!!!!! i love it so!!!

June 21, 2013 at 2:38 pm (1 year ago)

Come on! Rock the Vote! :D

11. Jackie
    June 20, 2013 at 2:35 pm (1 year ago)

They are all adorable, but I love the fringed top the best.

12. Crysi
    June 20, 2013 at 2:36 pm (1 year ago)

I loved #2, but the strap placement on #3 really makes it.

13. Stella Z.
    June 20, 2013 at 2:39 pm (1 year ago)

I love them all, but I HAD TO vote for one soooo I chose the first one, the no-sew refash, because it’s so useful for lazybums like me! :D

June 21, 2013 at 2:38 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you! Now if ONLY I was as clever in the kitchen as YOU are! :)

14. Melissa
    June 20, 2013 at 2:43 pm (1 year ago)

I <3 them all, but #2 edged out the others just slightly to win my vote.

15. Penny
    June 20, 2013 at 2:45 pm (1 year ago)

So hard to vote! All were “ReFashionista” perfect…Bravo! :)

16. megan_andafer (@megan_andafer)
    June 20, 2013 at 2:46 pm (1 year ago)

So I seriously love three, but I thought two looked best actually ON you, so I voted for it. But I think number 3 is the most creative refashion I’ve seen in a long time and I loved that! So it was hard…. I wish you could have bought two of that dress and been able to keep #2 and #3! :) Great job!!!

June 21, 2013 at 2:39 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you! #2 was a really good work dress, and I’ll miss it. Most of my work attire isn’t entirely grown-up looking.

17. mindilee
    June 20, 2013 at 2:48 pm (1 year ago)

ok. i voted for 3. i love it.

18. Renee
    June 20, 2013 at 2:54 pm (1 year ago)

you are on FIRE !!!!!! Go Girl !!!!

19. Kate
    June 20, 2013 at 3:00 pm (1 year ago)

This was GREAT!! I love that it sparks the idea of looking at the same original blank slate in different ways.

20. Probably Rachel
    June 20, 2013 at 3:05 pm (1 year ago)

I love that you did three totally different things with one dress. So versatile. I voted for #2 not because of the hi-lo hem (not my thing but you pull it off!) but because the neckline and sleeve turned out great! I like the 1st and 3rd refashions too!

21. Melody C.
    June 20, 2013 at 3:12 pm (1 year ago)

I love the top!! :-)

22. Alisha
    June 20, 2013 at 3:23 pm (1 year ago)

Top 3 for sure!!!

23. Coco
    June 20, 2013 at 3:34 pm (1 year ago)

Er. Ma. Gerd. You are a Whovian?!?!?!?!?!?!? Just when I thought you couldn’t get any more awesome…

24. outerbankshouseseller
    June 20, 2013 at 3:35 pm (1 year ago)

All three are equally alluring …and while it isn’t necessarily my style, I thought the top was awesome. Keep rafshin’, girl, you are awesome!

25. redbamsews
    June 20, 2013 at 3:40 pm (1 year ago)

I applaud you! You definitely got me curious with your challenge 3 in 1. All three are fabulous. I think I like #3 the best. It definitely is you. I can see this being worn by many.

26. blacklambphotography
    June 20, 2013 at 4:00 pm (1 year ago)

I liked all of them, but the 2nd one was my fav. The 3rd one is pretty cool too.

27. Liz
    June 20, 2013 at 4:04 pm (1 year ago)

I like the top but I loooove dress 2! You have inspired me to reuse and refashion! Thanks!

28. Gina
    June 20, 2013 at 4:04 pm (1 year ago)

You are just overflowing with talent. Maybe sell some cool leggings or purses on your blog. Your followers would support your ventures.

29. velvetmousse
    June 20, 2013 at 4:51 pm (1 year ago)

OMG I cant decide… Well I voted for the second one on the basis of which one of the 3 outfits would I buy if I walked into a store … And the winner is the 2nd one ! Yay :)

30. Jenn
    June 20, 2013 at 4:56 pm (1 year ago)

It’s like a cute morning dress, a fancy mid-day cocktail dress, and a night on the town top.(: You got an entire day in one dress, lol!!!

31. gabi
    June 20, 2013 at 4:57 pm (1 year ago)

I’ve started reading you for a while now and you are really super inspired and you inspire people.
    My fav look of this dress is the 2nd one,followed closely by the fringed top, but I’m curious to find out which one is yours?:-)

• WordPress.com Support
      June 20, 2013 at 5:03 pm (1 year ago)

Thank you! Tee hee…I shall reveal my top pic later! :)

32. Helen Taylor
    June 20, 2013 at 5:39 pm (1 year ago)

While #2 was gorgeous I must say….I loved the fringe! I adore that stuff (even if my wardrobe is sadly lacking) so #3 gets my vote!

33. Flo
    June 20, 2013 at 5:40 pm (1 year ago)

This whole series has been truly AWESOME! I’m not sure which version I liked the best, they were all pretty cool. Talk about getting your money’s worth out of $1! ;)

34. LadyD
    June 20, 2013 at 5:49 pm (1 year ago)

Great job! It was a close tie for me between dress #2 and the fringe top…that was SUCH a great idea!

35. Clav(inna)
    June 20, 2013 at 5:55 pm (1 year ago)

You can’t ask us to make such a difficult decision!

36. dannyscotland
    June 20, 2013 at 6:06 pm (1 year ago)

This is a really cute top! I do love it, but I still think the second one was the best of all. You should find another dress to make one like it out of again. And then you should make it in my size and send it to me. :-)

I think it’s so cool that you seem to do all this so effortlessly. Someday maybe I can, too! Thanks so much!

37. sgsy
    June 20, 2013 at 6:17 pm (1 year ago)

I like the fringed top but IMO #2 looked the best on you. It was supermodel glam!

38. Anne
    June 20, 2013 at 6:23 pm (1 year ago)

You are one very cool lady. I absolutely lurve what you do, so inspirational. My favourite outfit was the tank…seriously COOL. The second dress with the uneven hem was a very close second.
    Anne xx

39. Rachel
    June 20, 2013 at 6:34 pm (1 year ago)

Love, love, love. I would love to see this kind of refash with a pair of bottoms or just a solid fabric remnant. Could be fun… As always, fantastic work, I love following you and seeing how creative you are with something that just needs a little TLC. :) #2 gets my top vote!!!

40. Annika
    June 20, 2013 at 6:46 pm (1 year ago)

It’s just cruel to make me decide between the first and second one…. I love them both to bits.

41. Laura
    June 20, 2013 at 7:21 pm (1 year ago)

I loved the second dress. I had no idea what you could do next to wow us… LOL I should know better by now. Love the top too!

42. Willow
    June 20, 2013 at 9:26 pm (1 year ago)

You’re right…the doctor ALWAYS understands…though I’m partial to 11 : )
    Sweet refashions!

43. Kira
    June 20, 2013 at 9:30 pm (1 year ago)

Second one was definitely my favorite, but you’re forgiven due to the Doctor Who reference! ;)

44. MrsAlwaysForever
    June 20, 2013 at 10:14 pm (1 year ago)

I don’t know what I love more the top or the fact that you quoted “Poppin’ Tags”…you dun Macklemore proud, you dun us proud!!! :D

45. Jo H.
    June 20, 2013 at 11:36 pm (1 year ago)

I like all three. Equally :)

46. Ada
    June 21, 2013 at 12:17 am (1 year ago)

They all look good on you. I like some parts of each one. #1 is cute on your little body. #2 looks great wow what a difference it makes just redoing the neckline. #3 I really do like, however some of us have X Large top shelves, so tank straps have to be placed to cover bra straps. I know a lot of people dont care what they show, but that is not me. Keep up the good work. I love seeing these. Inspires me to try harder to make(or remake) things different.

47. Lex
    June 21, 2013 at 4:16 am (1 year ago)

I get so much inspiration from your blog. It isn’t clothing but believe it or not your blog has inspired me to ‘refashion’ some old cheapo Ikea furniture – my sister was going to throw it away as it was looking a little tired and instead of having to buy new for my spare room I attacked the worn bits with sandpaper and paint and have given it a fabulous new lease of life with painted birds and stuff to match my theme. I have also refashed some small items of clothing and made use of them in other areas. I’m really starting to get into it.

I can’t say I’m fond of the no-sew refashes because I’m a larger lady and things like that never work for me so I always prefer it when you get the sewing machine out. I LOVED the fringe you added for the last refash but I have to say the chunky straps didn’t float my boat much – you are quite a petite and delicate person and could have gotten away with much much tinier straps positioned further apart at the front – the fringe would have had a bigger impact I think. But that’s just my take on it.

48. sewmesomethingnice
    June 21, 2013 at 4:55 am (1 year ago)

More, more…this is amazing. I have loved each outfit – but had to vote on number 3 since this allowed us to see just one more refashion…think how much wear there is in one (ugly oversized) dress.

49. raineality
    June 21, 2013 at 7:11 am (1 year ago)

I voted for #2 because it’s a really flattering look on you, but #3 is really fantastic, as well! You have inspired me. I’m thinking of trying a refash on an old college t-shirt that I never wear and needs a little help.

50. Lauren
    June 21, 2013 at 7:12 am (1 year ago)

I think the second dress was my favourite, amazing you’ve made it into three dresses though!

Lauren
    livinginaboxx
    bloglovin

51. lisao
    June 21, 2013 at 8:37 am (1 year ago)

Love all of them…you certainly are one creative Deva….I am addicted to your site..love the new idea of 3 fashions…..

52. Bonnie
    June 21, 2013 at 9:31 am (1 year ago)

The fringe is amazing, great idea!!!

53. cathynd95
    June 21, 2013 at 10:02 am (1 year ago)

I liked the first one best. Great job on all 3 refash’s!

54. Beth
    June 21, 2013 at 10:33 am (1 year ago)

Holy Guacamole! You are an endless source of inspiration and fun! Thanks for sharing, B.

55. Denise
    June 21, 2013 at 2:46 pm (1 year ago)

Normally I’m not into fringe, but that top is amazing. Also, $2 liquor drinks? What?

56. Kim Douglas
    June 21, 2013 at 7:13 pm (1 year ago)

very well done! I like #2 best but all are great

57. jasperizer
    June 22, 2013 at 3:31 am (1 year ago)

It’s like the rebirth of the phoenix with the third re-do. Love them all!

58. Donna Owens
    June 22, 2013 at 2:00 pm (1 year ago)

Loved them all. Really love the new website too. Can’t wait for the next refash.

59. Sydney
    June 23, 2013 at 1:56 am (1 year ago)

I really adored the first. It was cute, easy, and there is nothing wrong with showing a little skin.

60. Mistress Arawynn
    June 25, 2013 at 1:09 am (1 year ago)

Love the Fringe but my fave version is definitely the second one. Love how you were able to get some many looks out of one boring brown dress. Love it :)

61. Sarah Jean
    June 28, 2013 at 5:44 am (1 year ago)

I too was cringing each time you changed this dress (my fave was the middle one!), but each piece was special and beautiful. Love getting your blog posts, makes my shopping experience at the thrift store so much more fulfilling. And I thank my mom who raised me (all on her lonesome), for teaching the magic that comes out of a sewing machine and my own two hands. Shout out to my amazing Mamma!

62. Clara
    August 21, 2013 at 4:00 pm (1 year ago)

I loved how you included a Doctor Who reference in here :) Awesome!

63. Jamie
    September 30, 2013 at 10:46 pm (11 months ago)

I honestly loved all 3! Very creative!