A No-Sew Aquatic Muumuu Dress

Sheri’s Reader ReFash!
A Little Housekeeping and ReFashionista on the Runway!!!

As I began getting ready for a friend’s birthday party, I realized at the last minute I had nothing to wear!  I was already running late, and had to act FAST!

Fortunately, I had this little numba right here:

Hawt.

Hawt.

Like I said, I had no time for this refashion.  I almost didn’t bother with photographing it as I was running that late!  Buuuuut…I think it’s important to show that a refashion doesn’t have to be a lengthy process every time.  Sometimes a quick fix will do quite nicely!

I noticed there was a small run at the bottom of my future dress.

Hmmmnnnn....What to do?

Hmmmnnnn….What to do?

So, I  grabbed my scissors and made a quick chop to get rid of it!

Chop off that hem!

Chop it!

I thought the sleeves could use a little shortness as well!

Byeee!

Byeee!

Since this fabric is of the polyester non-fraying variety, I didn’t even mess with hems.  I just grabbed that bottom scrap, tied it around my waist, and headed to the party!  :)

Look!  I'm tall!

Look! I’m tall!

Of course, I forgot it was a pool party!  Don’t worry, I still got in the water!

No diving allowed!

No diving allowed!

But, I was jealous of everyone who remembered to bring their bathing suits.  :/

They look so cool & relaxed!

They look so cool & relaxed!

Mini pool volleyball!

Mini pool volleyball!

My new dress kept me cool with its shortened length!

The hat doesn't hurt, either!

The hat doesn’t hurt, either!

Methinks the Birthday Girl had a great time as well!

Happy Birthday, Karen!  :)

Happy Birthday, Karen! :)

I don't think I've ever seen Brad in a picture smiling like a normal person...

I don’t think I’ve ever seen Brad in a picture smiling like a normal person…

C is for Cookie...That's good enough for me!

C is for Cookie…That’s good enough for me!

ba8913

Sheri’s Reader ReFash!
A Little Housekeeping and ReFashionista on the Runway!!!

32 Comments on A No-Sew Aquatic Muumuu Dress

1. mandalynns698
    August 9, 2013 at 3:18 pm (12 months ago)

Love it, great color….hmmmm, maybe there’s a tankini style refashion someday in your future?

2. Becky
    August 9, 2013 at 3:20 pm (12 months ago)

Those shoes are to die for! Great job on the quick refash!

3. Cara
    August 9, 2013 at 3:22 pm (12 months ago)

Love it! And for a muu muu, the print is actually not bad. I like the stacked stripey thing on the side. Shortening and cinching really made it look modern. I also am pretty envious of your giant ring.

I love that adult “pool” party. Baby pools and alcohol are all you really need.

Cara

4. Lacy
    August 9, 2013 at 3:22 pm (12 months ago)

Very cute transformation! I LoVe doing quick, simple refashions! If it’s too involved it often never gets finished for me :/

5. WanderArtist
    August 9, 2013 at 3:23 pm (12 months ago)

you have a seemingly endless cache of frumpy stuff to turn into cool duds!

6. ramya
    August 9, 2013 at 3:27 pm (12 months ago)

amazing…!!!
    You always keep saying you have nothing to wear…even though you refashioned like a 1000 clothes …Not cool …lol

7. christinapertz1
    August 9, 2013 at 3:40 pm (12 months ago)

Thats a super cute pattern too!

I just bought a scrub top today, a pretty pattern and I think I’m going to attempt my first totally change-up refashion with it! Its too short to make into a dress by itself, I need to find some fabric to go with it, but I think I could make a super cute tube top dress in the colorblock style! Thanks for all the inspiration!

8. Jillian
    August 9, 2013 at 3:46 pm (12 months ago)

I can’t tell you how jealous I am! I used to own this dress (found it at my favorite Goodwlll) and recently sold it at a garage sale (for like a buck!) Wish I had held on to it a little bit loner and I could have *copied* your alteration! Keep up the creative work :)

9. Mandy
    August 9, 2013 at 4:15 pm (12 months ago)

I ADORE that print!!

10. blacklambphotography
    August 9, 2013 at 4:48 pm (12 months ago)

Love the new hair do. Oh, and of course, the revamp of the dress.

11. CindyT.
    August 9, 2013 at 4:55 pm (12 months ago)

Very cute – great fine! I think I know your fav color too!

12. Angelfairydust
    August 9, 2013 at 5:05 pm (12 months ago)

I actually really really LOVE this print! I think it really suits you and oh my god your legs are to die for! Loving the shoes too :)

13. Clav(inna)
    August 9, 2013 at 6:09 pm (12 months ago)

Love the colour, love the print, love the refash, love how you paired it with the shoes and necklace!

14. taylormbowers
    August 9, 2013 at 7:35 pm (12 months ago)

I’m curious, because you said you had nothing to wear (which I know is girl code for “I have plenty to wear but I don’t want any of it”) but how often do you re-wear your refashions?? So many have turned out so great that I would think you have a closet full of great things!

August 9, 2013 at 9:02 pm (12 months ago)

Everything from Year 2 was donated to Revente’s Last Call to raise money for a local Women’s Shelter, but I’ve kept most of everything else. :)

• taylormbowers
        August 11, 2013 at 1:36 pm (12 months ago)

Wonderful! I must have missed that. What a great thing to do!

15. Jackie Sorich
    August 9, 2013 at 8:33 pm (12 months ago)

So cute. Looks like a fun party too! Always a great job.

16. Alexis E.
    August 9, 2013 at 11:21 pm (12 months ago)

First off, why am I never able to make such quick fixes and create a new outfit? Second, that is the funniest pool party I’ve ever seen. How clever!

17. beth
    August 9, 2013 at 11:36 pm (12 months ago)

great way to “make” a dress. Party looks like fun!

18. Karla
    August 10, 2013 at 6:29 am (12 months ago)

That MooMoo turned out to be one hot little number. I love it.

19. Flo
    August 10, 2013 at 8:05 am (12 months ago)

My question is–does the refashion on this piece stop here? Or is it going to meet the scissors and sewing machine further down the road? Love the pool party, too funny!

• twyf
      August 12, 2013 at 12:34 pm (12 months ago)

Ditto. I could see this as a really cute halter dress!

20. Anna
    August 10, 2013 at 1:42 pm (12 months ago)

My refashions tend to be of the involved variety, so I enjoy the quick-and-easy inspirations. I’m *really* looking forward to wearing cinched-around-the-waist things again… I’m almost 39 weeks pregnant right now… Wanted to send in a maternity refash but couldn’t get it together. Blame my 3-year-old. ;-)

21. Larissa
    August 10, 2013 at 3:18 pm (12 months ago)

Your friends are soooo fun!!!!!!!!, nice dress!!

22. Jo H.
    August 10, 2013 at 7:01 pm (12 months ago)

What a great idea for a pool party when there’s not a full-sized pool!

And once again you show that sometimes the smallest changes – like shortening the length – can revive a garment.

23. Gina
    August 11, 2013 at 2:13 am (12 months ago)

Ya know……I don’t recall you ever making or refashioning a swimsuit or a cute cover-up. Hmmmmmmm.

• Jo H.
      August 11, 2013 at 11:29 pm (12 months ago)

There was a cover-up – and it was good, as usual :)

24. Alicia in Indy
    August 12, 2013 at 12:22 pm (12 months ago)

I am a fairly new reader, and I have to say…I am TOTALLY jealous of your cool friends and the awesome social events you go to. I am the one always throwing cool parties, but our lame (but lovable) friends never reciprocate. I am completely rethinking our circle of friends. Love the quick refashion too!

25. ellaeldredge23
    August 22, 2013 at 4:22 pm (11 months ago)

I am in love with those shoes! The dress is cute too :)