Into the Awkward!

Gotta Love December in the South!
Dreaming of a White (Elephant) Christmas!

Today I woke up feeling really really off and awkward.  It was a weird day.  Then it became a sad day when I was reminded that this would be my friend Jonny’s birthday if he were still here.  And writing an article entitled “Hey Ladies.  This is Why You’re Still Single.” (I’m working on it, Alan.  I’m working on it.  You’ll get it today, I swear.) was a little tough to stomach when I’m so very clearly not an expert here.  :/

It was time to take on the type of awkwardness I’m actually good at dealing with.  The kind of awkward I can totally handle.  The awkward I can fix.  The awkward I kind of love.

I'm an awkward moment that somehow gained sentience.

I’m an awkward moment that somehow gained sentience.

*AWKWARD DANCE BREAK*

*AWKWARD DANCE BREAK*

You’re looking at a handmade polyester dress that looks red to me, but is apparently actually orange?  You tell me.

Anywho…It’s awkward.  It doesn’t fit, and then there was this awkward bib thing that I didn’t quite understand:

Modesty bib?  What?

Modesty bib? What?

The bib snapped out, so that was an easy fix, but I still needed to take on the fit (or rather lack thereof) of the dress.

First I pinned…

DSC_2803

Pins!

…then I stitched!

Whirrrrr!

Whirrrrr!

I decided I wasn’t in the mood for a dress at the last minute, so I chopped off the bottom part.

DSC_2807

Check out my feet awkwardly hanging out…

I added a new hem to my new and rapidly-fraying raw edge…

Just a lil hem.

Just a lil hem.

After a quick press, my new top was ready to hang out with some lovely friends!

My new top also loves wings!

My new top also loves wings!

DSC_2831

Lovely Kitteh!

Lovely Kitteh!

A lovely gathering!

A lovely gathering!

Awkward Cat Moment.

Awkward Cat Moment.

It's okay Wolfie.  We can be awkward together!  :)

It’s okay Wolfie. We can be awkward together! :)

ba121913

Gotta Love December in the South!
Dreaming of a White (Elephant) Christmas!

39 Comments on Into the Awkward!

1. Connie
    December 19, 2013 at 12:22 pm (12 months ago)

You made a cute top. It would also have made a good tunic top.

2. Judy
    December 19, 2013 at 12:40 pm (12 months ago)

Another winner made from a loser! and enough fabric left for a skirt!

3. Robyn S.
    December 19, 2013 at 12:44 pm (12 months ago)

I wasn’t too sure about this one, but it turned out cute! PS, love those boots!

4. Elaina
    December 19, 2013 at 12:45 pm (12 months ago)

another great job! Looks good! you have inspired me to check out the Goodwill for my girls. One needed 2 “professional” outfits for school projects (8th grade). I knew the clothes would not be worn more than that, so off to the Goodwill for a couple of blazers and skirts. Found some that went together, re-sized the skirts and cut off the length and daughter looked like a million bucks! Thanks for your inspiration.

5. Mims
    December 19, 2013 at 12:52 pm (12 months ago)

I love that you seem to have so much fun making and wearing your creations! Makes me smile :)

6. Tammy P
    December 19, 2013 at 12:59 pm (12 months ago)

Very cool top and LOVE those boots. Lol! I read back through many of your older blog posts and am inspired not only by your creations but how much you share/give of yourself to the blog. I think many of us can relate to the ups and downs of life and it helps to see that you can get through them. Thanks for sharing!

December 19, 2013 at 2:12 pm (12 months ago)

Thank you very much. I probably overshare….Herm…:)

7. Roz
    December 19, 2013 at 1:03 pm (12 months ago)

Love your work!! Have you ever combined two or more articles of clothing to make one?

December 19, 2013 at 1:40 pm (12 months ago)

Thank you! And yep…although I don’t do it very frequently. :) I’ll add a link or two here later. :)

8. mindilee
    December 19, 2013 at 1:04 pm (12 months ago)

me thinks you have an orange/red color blindness. hehee. other than that. LOVE THIS!

9. Erica Louise
    December 19, 2013 at 1:04 pm (12 months ago)

Looks great Jillian, and matches the zip on your gorgeous boots!

10. Leona
    December 19, 2013 at 2:02 pm (12 months ago)

Wings, wine and a winning new top! You rocked it!

11. Karen Sava Critter
    December 19, 2013 at 2:04 pm (12 months ago)

Have you thought of writing your story? including your creativity, how you got into doing these projects, it would be very interesting and inspiring i am sure.

December 19, 2013 at 2:14 pm (12 months ago)

Thank you! :) I actually HAVE thought about writing a book, and a good friend of mine once told me, “If you feel like you have a book in you, you owe it to yourself to get it out.”. I’ve thought about doing a how-to book , but I’d like to do a memoir as well.

• Kristin
        December 19, 2013 at 4:21 pm (12 months ago)

You definitely should!

12. Gina
    December 19, 2013 at 2:05 pm (12 months ago)

I always look forward to your creations. Great Job!

13. Lyn
    December 19, 2013 at 3:34 pm (12 months ago)

Have you tried in on backwards. It would look cute too.

14. Kristin
    December 19, 2013 at 4:21 pm (12 months ago)

Looks great and I love the boots!

15. sewcookgardenrepeat
    December 19, 2013 at 5:13 pm (12 months ago)

Hahahaha “Less awkward” I think it would strangely look cute as a skirt and top set, like one of those high waisted pencil skirts with a crop top that has suddenly become trendy? But I like it as is too. :)

December 20, 2013 at 9:57 am (12 months ago)

That’s a good idea, and I DID save the bottom scrap.

16. Brittany
    December 19, 2013 at 5:37 pm (12 months ago)

Is that Dan in the pics?? Hopefully things are better in that department! :)

December 19, 2013 at 6:05 pm (12 months ago)

It is Dan. We’re on good terms, but no…we’re not a couple anymore.

• Katie
        December 20, 2013 at 12:11 am (12 months ago)

Must be hard. I tip my hat to you for being adult about the situation and attempting to keep the friend-base as unawkward as possible.

• Jill Schwieger
        December 20, 2013 at 2:38 am (12 months ago)

Now THAT’S awkward…and uncomfortable….and stressful. Glad you looked hot in your new ORANGE top for the occasion!Bless you for taking on that personal challenge…..

December 20, 2013 at 9:55 am (12 months ago)

Gah! Why can’t I tell these colors apart? WHY?!?!

It’s not nearly as bad as it could be. Dan and I were friends for years before we ever started dating. I think that makes it easier.

• Shelby
        December 20, 2013 at 11:19 am (12 months ago)

UGH. Best of luck navigating that terrain. Probably one of the hardest parts of a break up is finding a way to be around each other in a mutual friend group so that they don’t start inviting only one of you to things bc of incivility. It’s been over 6 years (and I’m 5 years into a relationship that is now a 3 year marriage) and I still hate having to deal w/ my last ex in those situations. Hopefully you guys are better off than my ex and I were.

17. Gillian
    December 19, 2013 at 6:42 pm (12 months ago)

Love the refashion. I also love getting your posts, definitely get your book “out” and glad to see you and Dan are friends.

18. LJ
    December 19, 2013 at 9:08 pm (12 months ago)

First time poster, long time lover of your site! Thanks for making refashioning so fun… and thanks for the South Park “kitteh” reference. Made me laugh out loud. :)

December 20, 2013 at 9:56 am (12 months ago)

Ah! A lurker! ;) Thank you so much. :)

19. jaime b.
    December 19, 2013 at 9:25 pm (12 months ago)

Ooh make a corset or high waisted skirt. I would!

20. ames
    December 19, 2013 at 11:23 pm (12 months ago)

I was thinking maybe you could use the bottom half and make a cute crop top dress sort of thing – very “in” and would be so cute on you!

21. Jill Schwieger
    December 20, 2013 at 2:52 am (12 months ago)

One additional comment….I just now went and watched your Mob Dance for Jonny, watched it to the end, and yes I did see your friend. He must have been a beautiful person and friend. I hope you had a piece of cake for him today. If not, it’s not too late!!! Blessings….

22. redhead
    December 20, 2013 at 8:45 am (12 months ago)

Love it! Looks kinda cyber-ish to me, very nice!

23. SuzyDQ
    December 20, 2013 at 9:23 am (12 months ago)

I noticed that very same thing!! Love the top, the boots, YOU, Jilly!

24. Jill Schwieger
    December 20, 2013 at 2:47 pm (12 months ago)

OK…..One MORE additional comment! I’m sitting here by myself, laughing at some of your “before” pictures (you’re just too cute), and thinking……Sometime you ought to show up at one of your friend gatherings in a “before” and just announce that it’s been a hectic day. Maybe even wear a sign that says BEFORE. Well, I thought it was funny….

25. ellaeldredge23
    December 20, 2013 at 3:31 pm (12 months ago)

I would totally buy any book you wrote! Just sayin :)

26. Alice
    December 23, 2013 at 4:41 pm (12 months ago)

Totally a lurker. You’ve inspired me to resurrect my sewing/costume skills from days gone by. Made a dress from a skirt, etc. thank you!
    Also, love this top with those boots!

27. cakevictim
    January 8, 2014 at 5:57 am (11 months ago)

My mom and I made a very similar dress, that had an off-center button-up back, in a very -trendy -for -1984 aqua poly-cotton. Yeah I’m old-and you make me want to get out my machine!!

28. Vizion Heiry
    March 17, 2014 at 4:41 am (9 months ago)

If you turn the skirt into a pencil and wear it with the crop top showing a bit of tummy it would be oh so sexy. Especially with a light blue strappy heel (if the color is reddish orange).