It’s Cool. I Work Here.

Wannabe Wednesday: Midnight Tide Edition
Jen’s Reader ReFash

I hardly ever go non-thrift clothes shopping anymore.  But when I did, my fellow customers would always come up to me and ask the same questions.

“Do you work here?”

“Can you help me find _____?”

“Do you have this in a Size __?”

Every time I went shopping this happened, not just on those awkward days when I entered Target while wearing khakis and a red shirt.  I didn’t get it.  I still don’t get it.  Usually I just play along and help them.  It’s kind of fun.  One time a lady rudely snapped at me, saying, “What does it take to get someone to start a dressing room for me around here?”  I politely took her armful of clothes, saying “No problem, Ma’am!”  Then I put each item in a different random place in the store and left.

When I found this $1 tee, it made me think of incidents like that.

I totally work here.

I totally work here.

I have about a gazillion Tshirts, and I don’t really need another one.  But I was tickled by the idea of wearing a Staff shirt to random places.

Luckily, I had this dress:

It looks great with jeans!

It looks great with jeans!

Remember that dress I made last week?  Remember how I gave up on the idea of adding sleeves to it?  This dress was meant to be used for the sleeves.

I even dyed it with the other dress.

Sharing a (dye) bath is always so much more pleasant, don't you think?

Sharing a (dye) bath is always so much more pleasant, don’t you think?

I chopped off the bottom part, and even cut out the pieces for the sleeves and did the required stay stitching and prep work…

See?

See?

…of course I ended up choosing to go sleeveless.

But what about the top part?  It would be a shame to just let it go to waste!

I gave my new top a quick lil hem, like so:

Pinned!

Pinned!

Stitched!

Stitched!

Then, I cut out the “Staff” part of that Tshirt, and pinned it to my new top!

I dig this color combo!

I dig this color combo!

I stitched it down,using a zigzag stitch, and now my new top is ready to work!

Workin' it!

Workin’ it!

I actually did do a good bit of work that day at my favorite “office”.  ;)

I was happy to have a friend join me when I was ready to clock out for the day.  :)

The glamorous life of the over employed!  ;)

The glamorous life of the over employed! ;)

22314

Wannabe Wednesday: Midnight Tide Edition
Jen’s Reader ReFash

31 Comments on It’s Cool. I Work Here.

1. Elailna
    February 24, 2014 at 11:38 am (8 months ago)

That’s great! You crack me up! Love your “look” and your lifestyle. Wish I could turn the clock back a couple of decades! Keep up the good work. I have a 15 year old that I’m trying to get interested in refashioning. She does like to be different!

February 24, 2014 at 11:41 am (8 months ago)

Thank you so much! As to the decades thing, I’m going to quote an episode of “30 Rock”,and say “It’s Never Too Late For Now”. :)

2. Anna
    February 24, 2014 at 11:46 am (8 months ago)

You gave me a HARD laugh this morning. Thank you. I read this entry to my husband, who said, “People probably think she works there for the same reason they always think *I* work at any store I’m in — she looks like purposeful, like she has her act together!”

3. Rene S
    February 24, 2014 at 11:55 am (8 months ago)

That is great!! I am the same way as you–I rarely buy clothes except at thrift stores. Thankfully, no one asks me if I work there though.

4. Kim
    February 24, 2014 at 12:17 pm (8 months ago)

Hilarious! Love the new top, too!

5. colleen
    February 24, 2014 at 12:36 pm (8 months ago)

The color was greatly improved. I like placement of the word staff on the new top too.

6. missashleylynne1
    February 24, 2014 at 12:36 pm (8 months ago)

I like the refash…BUT I have to say I love the flats you chose to pair up with it!!!

7. craftywubo
    February 24, 2014 at 12:50 pm (8 months ago)

Love this, but I would really like to see you do a refash adding sleeves (I got my hopes up today again). All of your faithful readers are not in a year round warmish climate (though I know even you got some nasty coldness this winter)-and not all of us have beautiful young arms any longer and can better wear longer sleeves :). So, challenge is upon you. I’ve done a couple of refashions switching sleeves on tops, but have not done a simple addition of sleeves to a sleeveless top. Would love to see it!

8. Edi YourRealtor4Life
    February 24, 2014 at 1:04 pm (8 months ago)

Well in the cold of Chicago’s winter, you made me laugh…. By the way same happens to me if and when I go to stores, for some odd reason they seem to think that I work there, DO THEY NOT SEE MY PURSE, EVER SEEN A SALES GAL WALK AROUND WITH HER PURSE…. I always assume they just want or need help….
    keep on sending your blogs, they are funny and make me laugh and I got some nice ideas for what to do with some older outdated items I still have not donated, and now may never.,,, Have a good day….
    Edith YourChicagoConnection

9. Raizel
    February 24, 2014 at 1:13 pm (8 months ago)

Ha! Added to my bucket list :)

10. lizard100
    February 24, 2014 at 1:25 pm (8 months ago)

Brilliant. Yet again. I guess I’d rather not have the staff label though.

11. Lana
    February 24, 2014 at 2:25 pm (8 months ago)

Thank goodness I’m not the only one this happens to. I used to get stopped regularly on campus as a “freshman” and asked where buildings were. I also learned to not wear a forest green tee shirt to our local grocery store on Saturdays as that is what color tee shirt the staff is required to wear. Nothing like looking like you have your s#&t together.

12. thisblogisnotforyou
    February 24, 2014 at 4:02 pm (8 months ago)

Love this refashion. I would’ve never thought about combining these two pieces. Fabulous result!!

13. diaryofamadmama
    February 24, 2014 at 5:31 pm (8 months ago)

Awesome! I LOVE this top and want one for myself! :)
    ~Jen

14. Leslie
    February 24, 2014 at 5:32 pm (8 months ago)

I always get asked for help, a changing room, “where is …?”, “can you get that down for me?” in op-shops and other places. In the op-shops I suspect it’s because I usually have a HUGE trolley full- but maybe I just look cheap! ;)
    PS your ‘thrift’ shops are opshops here in New Zealand- short for opportunity shops. Isn’t that nice?

February 25, 2014 at 9:53 am (8 months ago)

I really love that word and that positive mindset. :)

15. RB
    February 24, 2014 at 6:24 pm (8 months ago)

Exactly why I no longer go to Macy’s. When I worked there, all employees were required to wear black, top and bottom, or a colored top with a black vest, jacket etc over it. So even if you don’t work there, but are shopping wearing a black top, you get asked a gazillion times to help someone or “do you work here” GRRRRRRR.

16. Sherri
    February 24, 2014 at 7:51 pm (8 months ago)

Laughed so hard my kids insisted I read it aloud – now my teens have new ideas for public sass. :) Once again so inspired by you to try new things – thanks for sharing your joys and challenges! (Ex-pat fan in Korea)

17. Kathrine
    February 24, 2014 at 8:27 pm (8 months ago)

Hi!
    I have been following your blog for quite some time now, I really like what you’ve got going on here, keep it up! :-)
    But when you’re speaking of sleeves, could you make like a “sleeves 101″ post, I can NEVER get them right! Probably more out there that would appreciate refashion 101-posts, idk, just an idea :-) But Please help me with the sleeves haha, I really need it :-P

18. Jill Schwieger
    February 24, 2014 at 9:37 pm (8 months ago)

You are so funny……HAHAHAHA! (and cute….)

19. Michelle Swetland
    February 25, 2014 at 12:38 am (8 months ago)

Love it, let me know if you get into any wine festivals for free!

20. D Helper
    February 25, 2014 at 10:06 am (8 months ago)

If you are mistaken for the staff you must always look in control, knowledgeable, and comfortable in your surroundings. Take it as a compliment.
    Your remake is hilarious and cute! Great work

21. Lisa A
    February 26, 2014 at 10:56 am (8 months ago)

You left random pieces of clothes all over the store, that’s so evil, I love it!

22. katboulder
    February 26, 2014 at 12:21 pm (8 months ago)

You have the best sense of humor! Love your refashions AND your hilarious posts. Thanks for writing such a great blog!

February 26, 2014 at 1:40 pm (8 months ago)

Thank YOU for your kind words! :)

23. The Peppermint Journalist
    February 26, 2014 at 12:51 pm (8 months ago)

Loved your story about “helping” a rude customer. I also like this top quite a bit – I was expect you to put the STAFF banner on the back but I really like it there on the side.

24. lolo
    February 27, 2014 at 5:20 am (8 months ago)

This is awesome I love what you did with the “staff” word and the dress.

25. Heather
    May 10, 2014 at 10:32 pm (5 months ago)

Not my favorite refash- but cute all the same :))

26. mishqueen
    September 27, 2014 at 1:03 pm (3 weeks ago)

That actually happens to me in EVERY store–goodwill, Target, Walmart, the grocery store…you name it. And no, I don’t believe I just look like I want to help people. Much the opposite. ;) Especially in Target I get confused…because I’m NOT wearing red…