Eileen’s Reader ReFash

Sondra’s Reader ReFash
Forever 31

Hello there!

Hey.  Whatsup?

Well hello there!  Douglas here!  Mom is on a fun trip with her friends out of the country right now, and she’s left me in charge of her blog while she’s gone!

I’m really hoping Jillie gets her groove back from this vacation.  She’s been kind of a hermit and I’m glad to finally have some space.  Sometimes a dog just needs some time alone to work on his novel and sniff himself, ya know?

Anyways, Mom asked me to pick some of my favorite Reader ReFashes to share with you this week.  We negotiated payment (in the form of treats), and I agreed.

The first one I’m going to share with you is actually a Re-ReFashion.

Meet Eileen and her elephant skirt!

Why so glum, Eileen?

Why so glum, Eileen?

Now, I think this skirt is just fine.  But I run around totally naked, so what do I know?

Here’s what Eileen had to say about it:

It’s comfy and a nice length but really, really hard to find tops to pair with it. I have both mustard yellow and navy tights that look quite adorable with it but have never been able to find the right top. And so it sits, languishing in my wardrobe, tiny little elephant eyes forlornly begging to see the light.
Truth be told though, this skirt is actually already a refashion of a dress I bought a couple years ago that was just nowhere near fitting around my bust. But those darn elephants implored “You can find something to make with us!”. Here’s the original dress from ModCloth;
We implore you!

We implore you!

So I guess I lied. This is really my second refashion and my first refashion of a refashion!

I really wish I had saved some of the fabric from the original dress but I didn’t, so I just had what was sewn into the skirt to work from. Call it a personal quirk, but I consider the ability to cover both my shoulders and my tummy simultaneously a minimum requirement for a shirt – one which this skirt did not currently meet. So I picked up a little bit of navy chiffon from my fabric store (only $3 worth and I’ve got some left over!) to fill the top out a bit. I started by ripping out the zipper that I had so carefully sewn in when I made the skirt, and ripped off the waistband (but saved it).

Pick!  Pick!  Pick!

Pick! Pick! Pick!

I cut the waistband in half lengthways and used my bias tape maker to make a cute little sleeve detail! Et voila! My second refashion, and my first refashion of a refashion!

I dig it!

I dig it!

Wanna see more of Eileen’s fun stuff?  Why don’t you just hop on over to her blog, Crafty Little Secret, and find out what this Microbiologist by day/Craftster by night is up to (Geez Mom…why did you major in theatre?  Just sayin.)

Great job, Eileen!

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

I hope you guys all have a great…SQUIRREL!!!!!

Sondra’s Reader ReFash
Forever 31

24 Comments on Eileen’s Reader ReFash

1. JK
    March 9, 2014 at 1:37 pm (9 months ago)

Douglas, you did a fabulous job, and you are rather dashing I might add!

2. Diane
    March 9, 2014 at 1:42 pm (9 months ago)

That looks great! So creative!

3. Robin Van Vleet
    March 9, 2014 at 1:47 pm (9 months ago)

I like the top much better than the skirt! Too cute!

4. Tara
    March 9, 2014 at 1:51 pm (9 months ago)

LOVE IT!!!!

5. megan
    March 9, 2014 at 2:16 pm (9 months ago)

you did and amazing job on this! love the sheer navy add on, totally pulls it together.

6. Daisy
    March 9, 2014 at 3:10 pm (9 months ago)

Genius! I like it soooo much better! And now all those little elephant eyes will see not only the light of day, but probably lots of night-light, too!

7. Desarae
    March 9, 2014 at 5:06 pm (9 months ago)

Adorable….I loved hearing from Douglas, stroke of genius writing this post, Jillian! And what a great refashion Eileen! Wonderful save. :)

8. Jen
    March 9, 2014 at 5:22 pm (9 months ago)

Douglas is so handsome! He should have his own blog. Cute refashion.

9. Tami
    March 9, 2014 at 5:38 pm (9 months ago)

You are doing a fabulous job Douglas. Hope you finish that novel this week!

10. Michelle
    March 9, 2014 at 6:40 pm (9 months ago)

LOL, Douglas did a great job with this post, remaining professional throughou-SQUIRREL!

Loved Eileen’s re-refashion :) The elephant pattern looked a bit lost as a skirt, but pops against the navy and as center focus next to her face. It is gorgeous and I’m most envious! *screws face up in concentration thinking what’s in my wardrobe to copy-cat…?*

11. Sherri
    March 9, 2014 at 8:54 pm (9 months ago)

Amazing, visionary re-re-fashion! I am again inspired!

12. Jill
    March 9, 2014 at 9:15 pm (9 months ago)

That is so cute, and a combination I wouldn’t have thought of. Thank you for the inspiration. Well done!! Thanks for filling in for your mom Douglas ;)

13. Yasmin Allen
    March 10, 2014 at 10:02 am (9 months ago)

That top looks great, I think it’s much more flattering than the skirt.

14. Lace
    March 10, 2014 at 10:12 am (9 months ago)

Great re-refashion! And great job, Douglas! :)

15. Cindy T
    March 10, 2014 at 2:46 pm (9 months ago)

Good pick DoUglas! Get lots of treats. on this one :-)

16. Maria Gehrke
    March 10, 2014 at 3:25 pm (9 months ago)

Yay! Douglas! Have been waiting to see his cute face again. And now with his own post – good deal! Great refash as well. I need to do some too. Love your blog Jillian!

17. Kerry Horne McCormick
    March 11, 2014 at 10:11 am (9 months ago)

Love your post Douglas! ;-) You’re such a cute dog and you remind me of Henry the hound in the first children’s book I illustrated recently titled “Henry In A Hurry”. Check it out–I think you would enjoy it! If you would like an autographed copy let me know! http://www.facebook.com/henryinahurry

P.S. Jillian, I love your blog and have followed it for over 2 years; keep up the good work! Your posts are so funny and truly make my day better after I read them. You have inspired me to refashion and be more creative in everything. From one artist to another, thank you!

18. Ali
    March 11, 2014 at 10:42 am (9 months ago)

Douglas is a VERY good blogger mom, he’s doing quite a lovely job. And look at that sweet face, so kissable! Nicely done Dougie and great job Eileen! Hope mom comes back feeling refreshed and ready for spring!

19. Jo H.
    March 12, 2014 at 12:00 am (9 months ago)

Beautiful top, Eileen – great re-refashion!

Dougie! You have been hiding your talent all this time :)

20. Condo Blues
    March 12, 2014 at 1:18 pm (9 months ago)

Hi Doug. I am typing this for my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Dachshund mix Lacy. She is sitting on my lap while I work on the computer. She thinks you are cute!

21. Natasha
    March 13, 2014 at 1:44 am (9 months ago)

You have such a pretty smile! Great job!!! Love elephants, and love the details on the top! :)