Spoiler Alert: This is not a terribly exciting refashion. But it IS a cautionary tale about what happens when you make boring non-daring choices in a refashion! So…let’s begin!
It all started with this dress I found on the 50 cent rack at a nearby Goodwill:
I assume the previous owner died after being mauled by a tiger.
I can see why nobody wanted this one, as it has a pretty major hole in the shoulder. No worries! I can fix that, and fix it I did!
No big deal.
With that shoulder fixed, I got to removing a couple of things I wasn’t too fond of…
Oh joy. A row of buttons right above my ass. How flattering!
Whew! Much better!
I decided to just take this one in a couple of inches on each side.
Just a couple ‘o inches!
I stitched each side down, then serged those rapidly-fraying raw edges!
Here’s what it looked like when I was done:
I chopped off a ridiculously conservative amount off the bottom…
Then I gave it a new hem.
And here it is: My totally boring dress that I don’t really care for!
And here it is being boring and still-dated-looking from the side!
Not much better, eh? :/
Not even my cool new wig could save it! :/
I feel pretty!
The print is fun, but this frock is still oh-so-frump! :/ I think I’ll re-refashion it!
I feel like I should have taken it in MUCH more and should have gone a good bit shorter as well. I made a couple of boring conservative choices and ended up with a lackluster result. :/
I looked at it and thought, “Eh. It’ll do for work.”, which is exactly the mediocrity I strive to avoid, both in my sewing AND in my personal appearance.
So yeah. I don’t really like this one very much, but hopefully you can learn from my mistakes and not suss out the way I did.
Fortune favors the bold!
When I found this frock on the 50 cent sale rack at the Goodwill near my house, I thought, “Wow! A dress I don’t even have to refashion!”
Not too shabs!
But then I looked a little closer…
Here. Let me help you out a bit.
Do you see the bizarre patched-up crotch hole? HOW DID THAT GET THERE? WHYYYYYYY? And WHY am I so terrified of the implications of said crotch hole? :/
Ahhhhhh! Much better already!
I don’t know about you guys, but I feel much better now!
So, I could have reattached that bottom bit to the newly crotch-hole-less bit, but the temps here have dropped, and I definitely need more shoulder coverage now!
But first, I needed to restitch the top of the elastic waist that had come undone.
…like Duran Duran no more!
Then, I had that bottom raw edge to tend to.
I used a straight stitch for this, but it was quite finicky with the weirdo stretchy knit of this fabric. I SHOULD have used a tight zigzag, as it would have saved me a bit of frustration.
I promptly reset my machine for the remainder of this refashion!
Now we’re talkin’!
Now for that bottom scrap! First, I unpicked the hastily hand-sewn hem that was already in place. I commend the effort, but I wanted something a tad sturdier for my new top!
Then, I pinned a new hem for each side of the scrap.
Next, I stitched each hem down.
But now what? I’m going to be a bit chilly without some upper arm coverage, no?
I took that scrap and did this with it:
Just playing around a bit…
Then I did this!
I stitched down those parts I pinned at the front.
Once again, using a zigzag.
The back was left drapey. :)
And here’s my new top!
My shoulders are now draft-free!
Amauri thought my new top was pretty swell too!
Love this fella right here. :)
I had a blast wearing my new top at Soda City’s Oktoberfest!
They juuuust might…
I was quite happy to stumble upon this dress with a lovely cameo print. :)
I’m running out of “before” poses, you guys.
I was even willing to look past those gigantic shoulder pads!
Okay. I clearly have some work to here. First, I made a few chops.
Not a bad start!
Don’t worry! I know some of you guys hate it when I remove cuffs & collars, but I’m keeping these. They’re just being relocated!
With my cuffs chopped and those pads removed, I was ready to take in this dress a bit. I took it from the back like so:
Stitching down the elastic…
Then stitching each side of the leftover elastic down, so it lays flat!
I took the cuffs and pressed the raw edges down.
Do you see where I’m going?
Then, I stitched each side down.
Just a lil whirr!
Then I took one cuff and pinned it under the largest lapel on my new dress.
Getting a lil creative!
In case you can’t tell, I’ve been on a bit of an asymmetry kick lately, hence my ‘do! This dress was going to be a fun experiment in balance or lack thereof.
I stitched the cuff down…
I think this is going to look just swell. :)
Then I chopped a bit more from one of the sleeves.
Just a lil bit.
I hemmed the raw edge…
Just a lil hem.
…then I attached the remaining cuff!
Too late to go back now!
The other sleeve got a different kind of cuff!
Roll it, pin it, then stitch the top and bottom down! :)
Now I just needed to get rid of some of that length!
Rising to new heights! My foot says “hai!” btw.
I hemmed my new dress, and stitched that bottom part into a sash.
That’s right…this was almost a totally no-waste refashion!
Ah! So close!
I’m really happy with this one, you guys!
Seriously…this is one of my faves!
And here it is from the back!
My cameo dress and I made a cameo (har har) appearance at my pal Phillip’s house for some tasty chili with friends! :)
Such deliciousness! :)
A perfect way to spend an early Fall evening!
Jillian is a deep person who feels things deeply.