A few months ago, I showed you how to add a fantastic elastic waist to just about any dress!
A lot of you asked why I cut the thing in two and restitched it before adding the elastic. I thought it gave it a cleaner line, but heck! Let’s try it another way!
I started off with this coral-y bathing suit coverup-looking thing…
Having a blissful summer flashback!
I thought the hue of this frock was just a wee bit to light for fall/winter/whatever this cold thing is that we’re in, so….I reached for these!
After the dye bath, I still needed to deal with how shapeless this dress was. While I usually just add a belt or a sash (because it’s easy and I like ‘em), I want to make sure I show you guys other tips and tricks too.
Here we go! I turned my dress inside-out, then I used my tailor’s chalk to draw a line all the way around my dress where I wanted my new waistline.
Measure for measure!
I also made a mark at the center front and center back of my dress.
Front and center!
Next, I wrapped a section of elastic around my waist and pulled it to where it was snug, but not too snug. Then I cut it off.
You shall do nicely!
I stitched the two ends together.
Then I folded the elastic in half and used a fabric marking pencil to mark the ends of the folded bits. This meant I had a mark for every fourth of the elastic waistband. Don’t worry. It’ll make sense in a sec. :)
I then pinned each of the marked bits to the center front, center back, and each side seam. This makes it easier to evenly distribute the rest of the elastic.
Time to stitch it down! Just use a straight stitch, but make sure you pull the elastic a bit as you go to keep the fabric from getting bunchy. It’s finicky, but it’s not that hard!
And just like that, you have a dress with an elastic waist! I rolled the sleeves up a little, pressed them down, and was good to go!
If you look closely, you can see where I accidentally dribbled toothpaste on the front! :/
However, me being me, I couldn’t resist putting a belt on it! :D
Sticking with what I know!
*Happy Belt Dance Break*
Sadly, the building I work in is in a constant state of frrrrreeeeezing, so all my coworkers got to see was this:
C’est la vie!
OH WAIT! I almost forgot to mention this, but TOMORROW NIGHT I’ll be presenting at my first Pecha Kucha here in Columbia, SC! If you can make it, please come out! I’ll be talking about how I find the frocksome in the frumpy, and you’ll get to listen to some other really creative folks as well! I hope you can check it out! It all happens tomorrow, December 12 at 6pm!
Click me! Click me!
I find so many 70’s housecoats when I go thrifting! I really liked this one with it’s lovely green flowers!
Yikes! That turtleneck!
There was also a good bit of damage on the sleeves.
I can only assume the previous owner of this frock was mauled by an animal of some sort…
I’ve been working on a really exciting holiday project (It’s gonna blow your mind dear friend) that I can’t wait to share with you guys. It involves a LOT of really tedious sewing, so I felt like taking a lil no-sew break today! :)
Bye damaged sleeves!
I turned this dress so the back was the new front. I unzipped it a bit so that turtleneck became a funky collar. That very bottom scrap turned into a sash for my waist.
Not too shabs, I must say!
Are you green with envy over how easy this rehash was?
My new dress enjoyed a laid-back day that consisted mainly of hanging out with friends and a tasty dinner. :)
Hi (again), Erin!
That’s right. I’m running out of title ideas for these. C’mon! After 700 or so posts, I think that’s fair, right? :) I promise to be more creative with the next one!
I was really excited about this $1 score.
My favorite color!
Teal is my absolute FAVORITE color! I also really liked those fabulous big brass buttons on the front! Unfortunately, this frock was too big for me as-is, and I would have to do some pretty dramatic reshaping.
I’ve got this. :)
The sides had to be taken in a good bit, but I also had to be thoughtful about what shape I wanted my new dress to take. I opted for a 60’s-ish mod styling instead of the more streamlined/fitted look I had also been contemplating.
I pinned my dress on my form, like I do. :)
Reshaping in progress!
Each side got stitched down…
Then, each side got serged!
Almost done! I just needed to raise that hem and take those sleeves up a lil bit!
A brand new hem!
A brand new sleeve hem!
Look at my new dress now!
And check out this crazy tentacle while you’re at it!
I LOVE how the shape of this turned out…fitted, flared, and fun! :) It was exactly what I needed for a brunch outing at The Kraken with pals!
A closer look!
Erin thought it was pretty cute too!