Well hello there! Do you remember that time about a year ago when I took on a One Dress, Three Ways challenge? You’ve seen me do refashions, but what about re-refashions or re-re-refashions?!?
I think it’s time to resurrect this challenge!
I started off with the polyester teal number you see above.
For ReFashion #1, I decided to go no-sew! This one is super easy!
I pulled the little belt/string/sash thing through the belt loops on the sides, but only towards the front, like so:
Step 1 of 2.
Then, I tied the string thing in the front, pulling the belt loops to each other.
Step 2 of 2.
Please don’t throw a dart at me!
It would really hurt.
I got tons of compliments on my new dress and felt oh-so-very Grace Kelly all evening!
Happy Birthday Donald! :)
Hmmmmnnn…wonder what I’ll do for ReFashion #2? :)
Let me just take a moment to say the weather in Columbia SC is absolutely perfect lately, and you really should just be here. It’s in that lovely perfect warm-but-not-too-warm place that probably won’t last very long.
I had just the thing to wear for the evening!
You’re looking at an early 90′s beach cover-upish thing! Can you guess what my first step was to transform this one?
You probably guessed correctly.
I grabbed a pitcher and a box of black powdered dye. Bit by bit, I folded my new frock into the pitcher, sprinkling the dye on it as I went.
A little here…
…a little more there!
After my dress was totally folded up into the pitcher, I filled it with hot water.
Just fill it up!
I let it sit for about an hour, then rinsed it in my washing machine. Once it was rinsed and dyed, I still had a bit more work to do!
First a chop!
Then some pinnage!
Then some stitchery!
I made sure to leave enough of a gap to thread elastic through its new casing.
I bought it in bulk!
Just thread it through, then stitch that last little bit down!
After throwing on an obi belt, my funkily-dyed dress was ready to meet a good friend for dinner! :)
I love how it took on a purple hue! :)
My meal consisted entirely of cheese.
Whatever. I’m not ashamed!
I must say, I dig my funky summery frock, and can’t wait to wear it to the beach sometime soon! :)
I think I’m due for another vacation, right?
This might be the worst dress I’ve ever seen.
What the hell!?!
There is nothing to like about this dress. Not a thing. It’s cut like a toddler’s jumper, It’s ugly, and that print just angers me.
WHY would a grownup wear this!?!
Even the brand name is obnoxious.
Oh hai y’all! Let me throw on my toddler dress with bears on it for my weekend in the country!
When I bought this terrible thing for $1, it was mostly to prevent anyone else from buying it and wearing it as-is (I’m a humanitarian at heart). It’s been on my refashion rack for months and months! But for Memorial Day, I was feeling patriotic and decided to give this “bear” (har har) of a refashion a go!
That print is awful. There was nothing to be done with this dress that would save it unless I could put those bears into hibernation!
Luckily, I have these guys:
I wanted my new dress to have a dark blue hue, and I tossed in a bit of black to further mute the print from the top of the dress.
Into the dye bath it went!
Oh please please please make this better!
After about 45 minutes, I rinsed and dried my dress. Now time to get to shaping this thing up!
I knew I needed to raise the waist of this dress to make it look right. Now…I could have detached the top part from the bottom, trimmed off some the fabric, then reattached it, but I had a quicker/more fun solution!
I folded the shoulders of the dress over and pinned them, like so:
Now that I had a better idea of where the new waist for this dress would be, I got to fitting!
First, I had to snip out those pockets…
…then I fitted my dress on my dress form.
Since this dress has no zipper closure, I had to be careful while pinning. If I made it too fitted, I wouldn’t be able to slip into it. Yes…I could have just added a zipper, but this really wasn’t necessary for this one.
I couldn’t get my dress off the form without unpinning one side. No worries! I just measured the opposite side and re-pinned the pinless side to match!
Measure for Measure!
Once all my pinning was complete, I stitched each side down.
I still needed to tackle that length! I decided to go super-short for the 1940′s pinup look I was going for. :)
Douglas seems skeptical.
I gave my dress a new hem…
We’re almost done, I promise!
…then went back to the shoulders of my frock. I stitched them down along their pre-existing seams on each side.
Then right there!
The new shoulders were fine and all, but I thought they could use a little something special. :)
I hand-stitched a button to each shoulder, which took no time at all!
I tossed on a sash I scored at the dollar-a-pound Goodwill, and just like that, my dress was done!
I really ended up liking the red buttons on this one!
Philip and Amauri seemed to dig my new frock as well.
I even like those silly bears now that they’re muted a bit. :)
So yeah…I think this dress is pretty much full of winsomeness! :)
I hope you all had a fabulous Memorial Day weekend as well!