For today’s piece, we need to go back to Day 117 of this lil’ blog. :)
First it was this.
Then it was this…
…but what about all this?
For those of you who were wondering what was going happen to the bottom part of this dress…wonder no more! :)
I needed something that would work as a cute coverup to wear erranding before I ventured over to a friend’s place for an afternoon swim!
I laid my leftover dress scrap upside down, and placed one of my best-fitting dresses over it, right in the center. This is going to be my template!
Just like this!
I pinned along the outside of the template dress…
You can outline this in chalk if you like.
I left everything from the armholes up open, placing two pins right at where the shoulders of the template dress start.
I sewed two seams, one on each side of what was about to be my new dress!
Emo sewing: All life is a meaningless abyss, dude.
Then, I sewed my shoulders down!
Now my sweet new coverup is ready to head off for an afternoon at the pool! :)
Love the sides!
Refashioning gives you wings! Literally! :)
Not bad for just a few little seams, eh? :)
Digging that neckline! :)
I must say, I’m quite happy to know someone with access to a private pool! It makes the SC summer heat somewhat bearable! :)
Keeping cool in da pool! :)
Good company & good beer make for a great summer day! :)
Mmmm! Tasty Wheat Ale! :)
Today’s dress comes all the way from Saudi Arabia! Anita bought it from a second-hand bazaar with the intention of refashioning it for herself, and then decided that those ruffles just weren’t for her.
Ruffles Galore! :)
I was actually pretty stoked about this one, folks! I love the ruffles and that bright red hue! :)
This dress still needed a bit of work though. First, I trimmed off those sleeves.
Then, I pinned each side to get it more fitted.
I ran each side through my machine.
I used one of the leftover scraps from the sides as a sash to break up the lines of the ruffles a bit.
And I must say…I love it! :)
Lady in Red!
I heart these ruffles! :)
Cheers! And Much Thanks to Anita for sending me this fabu frock! :)
I love funky-printed, but frumpy skirts! When I found this one at one of my fave $1 thrift stores, I was hooked! :)
Trust me…I love it. Really.
The only problem with me and skirts, is that since I’ve learned how to sew, I’m done with wearing separates (for the most part)! For years I could never find dresses that fit me (no boobs, all butt). But now, rather than being a victim of whatever the proportions for an “average” size 2 (or 4 during the holiday season) are, I get to decide how my dresses should properly fit! It’s quite empowering! :)
To ‘dress’ up this skirt, I first cut two 6″ slits right under the elastic waistband, like so:
This left a couple of fray-happy raw edges, so I pinned those bad boys down!
After running each side under the needle, I was almost done! The body of my new dress was still pretty shapeless. While this would work fine for a swimsuit coverup or if I was preggo (never gonna happen, folks!), it wouldn’t work so well for a day at work! I grabbed a fave antique brooch, and gathered some of the fabric off to the side like so:
Check it out now! :)
I rocked my new frock downtown in Five Points. :)
Lunch Outing Time! :)