Does this dress look familiar to you?
Perhaps thiiiis refashion?
It should. It’s the same dress, just in a different color! It even has those rad (yes, rad…no other word for them) shoulder sequins!
Like its predecessor, it’s too billowy as-is. Rather than the slacker-y pin job I did on the last dress, I was going to actually take this one in from the sides.
First I removed this stuff:
Then, I pinned.
Then, I ran each side through my machine.
Then, using my pinking shears, I trimmed off the excess fabric from the sides.
My new dress was coming along nicely.
I trimmed off some of the fabric from the bottom.
What I’m going to do next might surprise you. Let me explain myself first. A couple of weeks ago, my fella surprised me with a lovely weekend trip to Savannah, GA (If you’ve never been, you really should check it out) . While there, I stopped by Urban Outfitters and saw this.
I’m not holding it inside-out, folks. Several of the pieces I saw had exposed raw edges for hems. My first thought was, “What is this crap?!?! How lazy and sloppy can these people get?” Then, for some creepster reason, my mind changed…I actually thought the raw edges were kind of cool.
Which is why I’m about to hem the bottom of my dress and the sleeves leaving raw edges exposed to fray at will. Let us proceed.
I pinned the hem of my dress with the raw edge exposed on top.
I did the same for the sleeves.
I ran my hems through my machine…hoping I wasn’t making a big mistake…
I pressed my hems and new seams. And just like that, I was done!
You can’t see the hems as well as I would like in the photos above (although if you click on them, you can get a better view), so here’s a closeup.
I actually thought they looked quite cool. I won’t be doing this all the time, mind you, but in this case…I thought it kind of rocked. 🙂 And, if I change my mind, I can re-do the hems. No harm done!
My sassy new dress was ready for a night at Art Bar!