So…I showed you how I refashioned that LBD for Good Morning America yesterday, but what about that purple dress on the right?
I mean, how do you go from this…
This was a tricky one, folks!
First, I dyed the original top to get rid of that blah faded brown and white…
…then I noticed all these little holes on the sides. :/
This is where all my photographic evidence falls off, you guys.
I can explain! It was about 2am when I was working on this, and I had to try to get a couple of hours of sleep before going in to work the next day then dashing off to catch my flight!
Still…I’m sorry. :/
The best way I know how to explain what I did was:
- I removed that fake underlayer
- I took the whole thing in from the sides.
- I took it in again from the back to raise the neckline a smidge
- I added the fabric from the sides to the bottom of the dress, patching some holes and re-stitching around others (cutting off the parts with holes and stitching the good bits back together, then stitching THAT to the bottom).
- I gave this craziness a new hem.
- Then I took the sleeves up a little.
And that’s what brought us to this!
My new purple frock had a blast for my last day in NYC!
Erin and I checked out the MoMA, had a fantastic lunch at Grammercy Tavern (an entire page of their menu is dedicated to ciders!), and had a lovely time exploring the city before we caught our flight back home.
What a fun trip! 🙂