Hello friends! I’m sorry to have been gone for so long!
I don’t have any great excuses. I’ve been busy spending time with friends & my new(isn) fella and trying to keep warm in this cold snap that’s hit SC so very hard.
It’s hard to refashion when you just want to hide under warm sweaters and fleece-lined leggings every day! The time I usually spend sewing has been spent cooking tasty warm things for my favorite people. 🙂
But when I flipped through my refashion rack the other day, I saw this sad frock and knew I had to do something with it!
This dress was a challenge.
It’s handmade, but not very well (sorry!). :/
The hem was uneven and a lot of it was hastily sewn together.
It was also riddled with holes along the seams.
I can still work my refashion magic on this, though!
To get started, I used my seam ripper to do a bit of de-doilying!
The lace bits were only loosely hand-sewn, so removing most of them wasn’t very hard or time-consuming.
Now that those doily bits were gone, I was ready to do some altering!
I put my dress on my dress form inside-out and pinned the sides.
Then, I sewed each side down.
This step fixed the split side seam issues I called out earlier. Whew!
My new frock was already looking much better, but I still needed to deal with that too-long/uneven hem.
To do this, I measured from the waist of the dress, rather than the bottom.
I marked along the edge, then snipped away!
I then pinned a quick hem and stitched down that raw edge.
After a good press, I think my dress looks quite sweet now!
It’s a bit more cutesy/girly than I usually go, so I spiced it up a little with my fave leopard print boots and minty green tights.
I wore my new dress to The Nickelodeon to check out one of my new favorite horror films, The Babadook!
Of course, it’s pretty chilly here, so most folks only got to see my new frock like this:
Now that that fearsome frock has been conquered, the only thing I have to fear is Mr. Babadook!