I’m not a big sports fan (as in at all), but when Super Bowl Sunday rolled around, I needed something cute to wear for a get-together with friends.
I’ve had this dress on my refashion rack for ages, and it was about time I got around to using it.
It seemed silly to not refashion it when it was the only thing in one of the team’s colors (Carolina Panthers)…and I do live in the Carolinas so…there ya go.
Back to the dress.
This is one of those 80’s frocks that was created by someone who thought while women were making headway in the workforce, they still weren’t quite capable of executing their own layering.
At least that’s the only explanation that comes to mind for the existence of that white thing that was sewn in.
This is why it had to be removed, along with those massive shoulder pads.
I didn’t care for the buttons that made the sleeves poufy either, so they had to go as well.
Next, I unpicked the front of the dress a little with my seam ripper.
I wasn’t in the mood to layer at all, which meant I needed to unpick each side enough to fold them over to a decent neckline level and restitch them.
When I was done, the front looked like this.
I liked where this was going!
I added a few stitches to my new neckline…
…and then tackled that awkward length.
After a quick hem, I was all done!